Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty confident we followed the rules correctly in this situation, especially after consulting the FAQ, but just wanted to confirm.

Re: playing a 2/2 character in earth, then following up with Potion of Prodigious Passion (value of one of my character cards is increased to 5) with Duplicator of Strength (the earth value of one of my characters doubles). Since both cards affect the earth value, there are two ways this could be applied:

1. Double the earth value of the character to 4, then increase it to 5 for a total power of 5.
2. Increase the earth value of the card to 5, then double it for a total power of 10.

It'd be unclear which to apply, except for this in the rulebook:

"If there is more than one instruction influencing the fire or earth values of other cards, first apply all increasing instructions in the order that maximizes the values, then apply the decreasing instructions in the order that maximizes the values".

Since scenario 2 results in a much higher total power (10 vs. 5) it seems that is the proper course of action here.

Roit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
Roit?

Riiight. And note that you must use the higher figure, you don't have a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Alright...I'll bite. When might you want to choose to have a lower power? Other than trying to string someone along to let you play enough cards for a two-dragon win, I don't see one - and even that isn't reason enough to do it most times, methinks.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Alright...I'll bite. When might you want to choose to have a lower power? Other than trying to string someone along to let you play enough cards for a two-dragon win, I don't see one - and even that isn't reason enough to do it most times, methinks.

Well, if you know that the only character card someone has is a mutant which can't attack unless you have sufficient power, then it may prove useful. Or if you're fighting a member from the Khind Cool gang which is ignoring odd or even values, and this method gives you the other type of value. And that's without even thinking too hard about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Alright...I'll bite. When might you want to choose to have a lower power?

Most obvious example is playing against the Hoax deck and you want to avoid mutant Var-dis-Nar. I've certainly played to avoid going to 7 in that case (but not of course by a different calculation).

Quote:
Other than trying to string someone along to let you play enough cards for a two-dragon win,

I didn't think of that one, although slow playing to draw him in is common. But doing it by miscalculation (were it legal) would not be very subtle.

Quote:
even that isn't reason enough to do it most times, methinks.

Oh, yes, this is all hypothetical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Bleasdale wrote:
Or if you're fighting a member from the Khind Cool gang which is ignoring odd or even values, and this method gives you the other type of value.

Nice try, but the Cool gang characters affect printed values, so this one doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.