Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the box
(Rio Grande)
The pieces and board are all hq. But if you don't glue the pieces together they might fall apart (both the ships and the 'card holders'). So I suggest you open the box and do that before the first session. Be careful, because some of the pieces might be trashed when you snap them out! It will take you apx. 15 minutes to fix everything. But it is well invested time. After finishing, all pieces looks nice and feel somewhat 'robust' even though they are all paper.
The last trick is to get everything in the box after gluing the ships together, but it's possible (I have posted a picture as evidence)!
Rules
It only takes a minute to explain the rules. And if you invite someone new to boardgames, you should consider Caribbean to be your first choice; the least experienced often ends up winning their first session.
Playing
Everyone I have invited for a session likes this easy-to-play game. It might not be the most strategic game ever, but if you don't think about what the others are thinking, you will be in trouble. I have also played some sessions with my wife. It works ok for two players, but I personally like the more caothic feeling during a three or four player session.
Conclusion
Even though it is ranked some seven hundred or something here on BGG, I whould say that this one is a game you-should-have. It's very easy to put on the table when you have non-gamer guests. It's also easy to play it with kids: my 7 yo daughter loves it and my 3 yo son loves the ships! He doesn't obviously get the strategics, but my 7 yo have no problem at all with the rules.
So; It's nice to play with beginners, with kids as well as a in-between game for more experienced players. It looks and feels nice and it's quite cheap (in Sweden apx. $28 from Azimogames). The only catch is the box that is far too small!

Ohoy! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... that was a little lean on actual content. You said that it's easy to explain, easy to play, and a "must have" -- but nothing else! Perhaps you should read this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are quite right. The only point that I got is that you have to glue the pieces if you want to play with your kids! blush I will try to write something more 'complete' the next time.

The reason I tried to keep it short and simple was that I personally think that many reviews are a bit too complex (eg. what's the meaning to describe all the rules in the review?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing
I have also played some sessions with my wife. It works ok for two players, but I personally like the more caothic feeling during a three or four player session.

Haha, I bet you only say that cause she beat you, didnt you.

I do like your short review and aggree (allthough I appreciate the work put in to really detailed reviews) sometimes you simply want to know if a game is good or not.
Are the components crap or not.
Does it play well with children.
Is it fun and your review simply tells me all that.

A game that at 13 dollars over here, I find hard to resist.:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

Haha, I bet you only say that cause she beat you, didnt you.

Hehe! Lol bigtime!

sagitar wrote:

I do like your short review and aggree (allthough I appreciate the work put in to really detailed reviews) sometimes you simply want to know if a game is good or not.
Are the components crap or not.
Does it play well with children.
Is it fun and your review simply tells me all that.

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
I agree with sagitar - I liked your review...It had more content than a comment and told me some key things about your experience...such as how the rules are quick to explain, that a 7-year-old can play, that you like it better with more than 2 players, etc. IMHO, I like to see reviews of all different lengths. Also, FWIW, if is fine with me if various reviews (and comments, of course) say similar things (and/or if people chime in with comments on whether they think the same things in a review - or not).

Just because your review wasn't totally comprehensive, it was certainly detailed enough on several points. I hope people won't get discouraged from writing reviews if they feel they havce to follow a specific format (again, though, having a number of details are best so that a review is not more like a comment that belongs with the ratings section). Thanks for posting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Au
Canada
flag msg tools
I really like your brief review. I find most reviews to be too long and I (and probably most readers) just jump to the conclusion anyways - I mostly want to know did you and your gaming group like or not. It's very simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.