Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this a bit lately... I think the traditional mindset for playing Summon Sorcerer is to retrieve a character, usually a big one, either to conserve that character or to conserve character cards in general in a pinch.

But what sort of effect might SS have on the game if something ELSE was pulled? I had some ideas for support card retrieval that might actually prove more devastating, but would likely require some rather pinpoint timing. Some of these ideas (specifically vs. Hoax):

1. Pandemonium - With Hoax's dastardly support cards, this is a great choice. When you've got the anti-support stranglehold on, use leadership to pull Pandemonium back up and follow with a monstrous attack. Obviously this needs to happen when you're feeling very confident about being able to win the battle on the next play. Ideal result: Your opponent can't match your big attack, despite having multiple support in-hand and has to retreat. The next fight you throw down Pandemonium again ASAP, completely blocking up Hoax's hand again. Not-so-ideal result: Your opponent has Inscrutable Armor, Henry Highflyer Hawk, or his mutant in-hand, forcing you to continue the fight and effectively wasting SS. Worse, your opponent has "Trigger Brainstorm" in-hand and dumps a whole mess of cards into your lap first turn before you can get Pandemonium down. Bad bad bad.

2. Wall of Fire - Hoax players hate seeing this card once, much less twice. On this one, obviously the timing is critical. You need to be near positive you can win the battle on the next play or you stand the chance of allowing your opponent to refill his hand again. Again, a huge attack on the next play is probably the best follow-up. Ideal result: Your opponent is dying of card strangulation. You pull Wall of Fire back up, throw a monster attack, and your opponent has to retreat. After your opponent leads the next fight, throw Wall of Fire right back down again... or save it until later. Absolutely demoralizing. Not-so-ideal result: Your opponent finds some dastardly way to match your monster attack, refilling his hand afterward. The big three (Inscrutable, the mutant, and HHH) are NOT your friends.

3. Heat Haze - I haven't played this card in the Vulca deck yet, so I'm just hypothesizing here. Being able to play this one twice doesn't hurt Hoax as much as the first two might, but it'd go a long way toward protecting yourself from the worst support nightmares Hoax has to offer (namely Brain Drain and Duplicator of Strength). It's also a gamble to blow SS on this for the sake of protection against two cards. Still, done at the right time... This move is likely best attempted late in the game when Brain Drain and/or Duplicator of Strength still haven't made an appearance. Ideal result: You're able to minimize the damage inflicted by those two cards or prevent them from having an impact (or even being played) at all. Not-so-ideal result: Beyond "wasting" SS, no huge consequences here, since in a typical game Vulca usually expects to suffer these two at some point anyway.

4. Fearsome Spirits: Strictly conservation here, such as in a battle where your own retreat looks inevitable. Throw SS, pull Spirits back up, and retreat. The scary specters live to taunt the colorful dragons another day. Might prove a great surprise near end-game when your opponent is low on cards or strength. Ideal result: Your opponent's just pulled off a bold move, dumping some wicked cards and forcing you to retreat. You conserve Spirits and sneak off a 2-dragon victory 2 plays later when your opponent doesn't have enough cards to match. Not-so-ideal result: Not getting Spirits to win you 2 dragons later. Is blowing SS on this worth the gamble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Vulca - Cast Cataclysm with various unexpected cards
Jowjow wrote:
I've been thinking about this a bit lately... I think the traditional mindset for playing Cast Cataclysm is to retrieve a character, usually a big one, either to conserve that character or to conserve character cards in general in a pinch.

I think you're talking about Summon Sorceror, not Cast Cataclysm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody hell. *eyeroll* Thanks for catching my idiocy before anyone else was exposed to it. Original post has been edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.