Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game brand new off E-Bay, and I'm very excited to play it. However my wife will no doubt be hesitant initially. Based on everyone's experience, which side would you give your hesitant spouse to play first? I don't want her to have such a sour experience that she swears off the game for all time Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give her the Dark Side or whatever they are properly called (Trade Federation?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Light side. Let her be the good guys, especially if she likes Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to give her the best shot at winning, give her the heroes, not the villains.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
If you play the dark side you can kind of control how close the game is by choosing not to play cards that make it more difficult for Anakin to successfully fly through the enemy fighters. Thus quasi "allowing" her to win in a non-obvious way, increasing her enjoyment and making a repeat play more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Marc has an interesting idea for subtley giving her an advantage, I would still say give her the Trade Federation. And not just because I think it is an easier side to win with, which is still heatedly disagreed with I say it because the TF rides roughshod over the Plains, whiping out lots of pieces, which can be disheartening if you are a beginner, and don't know that's just the way it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
While Marc has an interesting idea for subtley giving her an advantage, I would still say give her the Trade Federation. And not just because I think it is an easier side to win with, which is still heatedly disagreed with I say it because the TF rides roughshod over the Plains, whiping out lots of pieces, which can be disheartening if you are a beginner, and don't know that's just the way it goes.

Exactly. She gets the fun of mopping up the plains (and smooshing Gungans), and when you pull off the victory wipe your brow and say, "Whew! After that wolloping you gave me on the plains, I didn't think I stood a chance!"

It's FUN to use the tanks and catapults to turn those Gungans into orange goo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very interesting question, and I must say there are some very intelligent arguments for both sides.

For my part, I would make two suggestions:

1) The obvious choice is to let her decide which characters/armies she likes better. If she's a big Darth Mull fan, then let her be the TF. If she thinks the Gungan's are cute and quirky and she digs the whole female hero (the Queen) thing, then she'll have more fun playing the Naboo. You could get by going easy on her regardless of which side you play.

2) If she doesn't care either way, I would say give her the TF. Marc's points are valid about the battle on the plains. Additionally, it could be frustrating and/or boring for her to try to get Annakin through to the Mother Ship.

Enjoy! I'm sure you'll both like the game either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.