Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Apologies if this has been asked before): I'm playing a solo game and the Terrible Experiment has been in play for a while. I draw Happy Days are Here Again, which says "the terror level cannot increase". Then the number of monsters on Terrible Experiment reaches 8, triggering the Fail condition "Raise the Terror level to 10 and place the monsters that were on it into play in the Miskatonic University Streets". What happens?

a) Happy Days are Here Again has priority: the terror level doesn't increase. The monsters, insofar as they exceed the monster limit, go into the outskirts (where they then return to the cup if they hit the outskirts limit).

b) Terrible Experiment has priority: the terror level increases to 10 and the monsters appear in the streets. Happy Days are Here again is now irrelevant.

I went with option a, but I'm interested on other's ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right with answer a. Do everything The Terrible Experiment says except do not move the Terror Level as long as Happy Days Are Here Again is in effect.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although I can't recall if there is a "resolution of inconsistencies clause" somewhere in the rules I'd also go with a.

The environment prevents any increase in the terror level. The mythos card raises the terror level. Giving the cards any other interpretation requires you to make a fairly abitrary distinction between an increase in the terror level due to a mythos cards and an increase for any other reason (such as the outskirts "popping") which doesn't seem supported by the rules or very internally consistent.

Id still drop the monsters though (although most likely they would end up straight back in the cup) due to the monster limit / outskirt limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with a) too. The rules generally state that disputes are supposed to be resolved by the first player and if you're playing solo, that's you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess so. The game was eventually lost because all monsters appeared...automatically waking up the Old one, who was Azahoth. Interpretation a probably delayed that result by several rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.