Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10:49 AM, UPS rang my doorbell!

Haven't even broken the shrinkwrap yet, but I'll report back later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright! You all are getting me all fired up now. Hope mine gets here soon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Vogel
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to hear the game has finally shipped. But I'm on the complete other side of the country from the one guy who says he's gotten the game! *SIGH* I doubt it will make here in time for Wednesday night board gaming...

Henry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPS man just dropped it on me. Hopefully it will hit the table tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're so restrained! I had the shrinkwrap off in no time
A thing of beauty (with the possible exception of the cover illustration) and certainly the most robust cardboard game box I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
UPS man just dropped it on me. Hopefully it will hit the table tonight.

It`ll take you all evening to put the sticky labels on the 300+ blocks!

Good luck! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what the kids are for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tibbitts
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dang it! I just got the ship notification. I have to wait three whole days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
When applying labels to blocks, do not make ANY assumptions! There are more labels that are "spare" than those that are marked. Be sure to look in the rules booklet and label the appropriate number of blocks for each type of unit. DO NOT ASSUME that there are enough blocks for ALL labels!

In particular, there are a number of "extra" Roman Auxilia Infantry and Roman Light Sling Infantry labels that are not marked as "spare". There are enough Roman Auxilia Infantry labels for 36 blocks but the game only calls for 24 blocks of Auxilia Infantry. There are 8 sets of Light Sling labels but the game only calls for four blocks of Light Sling Infantry.

This equals 12 "extra" blocks worth of labels that are not marked as extra. There are (in my copy of the game) eight extra blocks, so if you affix all of these labels to blocks (as I did...), you will be short about four small gray blocks. At least I was and now I am short one unit of Roman Heavy Infantry.

Learn from my mistake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Play it tonight! Here's how, Richard Borg posted this on Consimworld so you all could start ASAP:

All you need really to play the first scenario, The Battle of Akragas, are the following unit blocks…

Carthaginian Blocks: Light Infantry - 1 unit Infantry Light Bow - 1 unit Auxilia Infantry - 4 units Medium Infantry - 2 units Heavy Infantry - 1 unit Light Cavalry - 1 unit Heavy Chariot - 2 units Leader - 2

Syracusan (AKA Roman) Blocks Light Infantry- 1 unit Infantry Light Bow - 2 units Auxilia Infantry - 3 units Heavy Infantry - 4 units Light Cavalry - 1 unit Medium Cavalry - 1 unit Leader - 2

After your first game or two, if you are good at multi-tasking, while you reread the rules sticker the needed blocks for the Crimissos River scenario.

Enjoy! Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Klecko
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems there are extras that are not marked that way. However, it shouldn't affect anything. I put on all stickers that were not marked "spare." I then went back after reading this thread and found I needed one more Roman light infantry block and one Carthaginian medium cavalry which I had to get from the "spares."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it in SC last night around 7pm. My birthday is today;great present.

Richard Borg posted these labeling tips at CSW:

May I suggest… Separate the blocks by color, Gray Romans, Brown Carthaginian, then sort blocks by size. Go to Page 3 in the rule book and start with the Roman Units. Pull out 24 small gray blocks. Find the Roman Light Infantry stickers on sheet 1 of 3 (there are two of these sheets). Peel and place stickers front and back on the 24 small gray blocks. When you run out of the 24 blocks, move onto Roman Light Bow Infantry. Pull out 8 small gray blocks. Find the Roman Light Bow Infantry stickers on Sheet 3 of 3. Peel and place stickers on the front and back on the 8 small gray blocks. When you run out of 8 blocks, move onto Roman Light Sling Infantry 4 blocks… keep going it will really will be worth the effort!

Enjoy! Richard Borg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two more days to wait. (sigh) So close, yet so far away... come on all you who *have* already received your game, let's get at least a mini-review on here!

Dying... gads I can't wait. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, mine won't arrive till the 24th. Damned East Coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jones
Wales
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived in the UK on 17th ! I impressed.

It took me a couple of hours to stick all the labels on the wooden blocks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, mine won't arrive till the 24th. Damned East Coast.

Which is why I choose the Priority Mail option for shipping rather than UPS Ground, costs a buck or two more but I got mine yesterday. Spent yesterday evening applying the stickers and ready to play tonight :-)

Rick (also East Coast - Durham, NC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE - My copy arrived about an hour ago... Thus begins the labelling!

----------

Just checked tracking and my copy is on the truck. It will be here within the next couple hours! I'm excited, can you tell??? laugh

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine. Read all the labeling advice here. Labeling to commence this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brandon
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So not to rain on anyones parade-but having followed the game, preordered it and having finally arrive-I have to say I'm a bit disapointed really. Not in the production quality nor the fact that blocks instead of figs are used( easy remedy) simply that C&C: ANCIENTS isn't really what the game is about. It is really just C&C ROME vs CARTHAGE. shake

Yes I followed the threads and such and while I did not see a complete listing of scenarios, I certainly believe the product is terribly mis-titled. No Athenians, No Spartans, no babylonians, no Egyptians, no Hittites, nope-if you consider ancients to be ONLY Romans and Carthaginians-then I suppose it does cover ancients...otherwise if you've read a little history you are misled by the title.

To put it into perspective-suppose a game advertised as Axis & Allies consisted of UK vs Germany in North Africa only? I guess I sort of expected the flexibility of C&C ancients to cover a broader spectrum of armies & scenarios. Ancients is a broad brush stroke of a word encompassing thousands of years and Rome vs Carthage is a much more specific & narrow scope for such a broad brush title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fenway5 wrote:
So not to rain on anyones parade-but having followed the game, preordered it and having finally arrive-I have to say I'm a bit disapointed really. Not in the production quality nor the fact that blocks instead of figs are used( easy remedy) simply that C&C: ANCIENTS isn't really what the game is about. It is really just C&C ROME vs CARTHAGE. shake

Yes I followed the threads and such and while I did not see a complete listing of scenarios, I certainly believe the product is terribly mis-titled. No Athenians, No Spartans, no babylonians, no Egyptians, no Hittites, nope-if you consider ancients to be ONLY Romans and Carthaginians-then I suppose it does cover ancients...otherwise if you've read a little history you are misled by the title.

To put it into perspective-suppose a game advertised as Axis & Allies consisted of UK vs Germany in North Africa only? I guess I sort of expected the flexibility of C&C ancients to cover a broader spectrum of armies & scenarios. Ancients is a broad brush stroke of a word encompassing thousands of years and Rome vs Carthage is a much more specific & narrow scope for such a broad brush title.

Hmm do I hear expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenway5 wrote:

Yes, it is C&C: Rome v. Carthage, but think about how easy it is to release expansions. I'm thinking now of a Greeks (more specifically Spartans) v. Persians (Thermopylae sounds fun). We now have the rules, cards, and maps, all GMT needs to release are the nation/state specific blocks and scenarios. They could even just release an "Enemies of Rome" expansion, Gauls, Germans, Huns, w/ scenarios, and we've got the Romans already. Just about any pre-gunpowder battle can be re-created by just releasing army/blocks and scenarios. I think that GMT is onto something big with the release of C&C: Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I thought it was mentioned on CSW that the first box was specifically RvC and there were plans for other nations in expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Plummer
United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I hope they don't P500 every expansion. If they do it will take 3-4 years for each to come out. If they just P250 or just release them I think we'll all be much happier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As regards expansions, I imagine that a number of fan-made scenarios will be available on the net quite soon, especially if someone works out a good way to convert the ones from the free "Ancients" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hoam
United States
Fredericktown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chris,

Since you pre-ordered the game I assume that you read its description which stated something to the effect of:

In this initial release, we chose to focus on a number of battles involving Rome and Carthage, plus a few scenarios which pit Carthage against some of her other historic enemies. Additional modules are planned for all major powers during this period.

So now that you have received the game you are disappointed to find it only contains Romans and Carthaginians?

Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.