Subject: (Method) Paper Mini Stand Up ... made easy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface: I came about this accidentally. I was trying to figure out a really simple paper craft to make a component for print-and-play dexterity game. This is such a simple method that I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find it already done online.

What I found are a plethora of the usual "A-frame" or insert-in-a-clip stand-ups:

(from RpgNow.com)

(from Sparks Paper Miniatures)

(from Forum.Rpg.Net)

And of course, there are some that are really complex:

(from A more fragile fighter)

What I found was something that is somewhere between those two. Simple enough that I can feasibly put it in a Print-And-Play game and reasonably ask the player to craft it with minimal skills. But it's somewhat "better" than a flat piece of paper.

So ... here goes (posting it in the next post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with squares. Conceivably, you can customize the shape to whatever you want. The important part are the two triangular "tabs" that get glued together at the bottom and forms the base. More on that later. On to the pictures!

Cutting out 6 of the squares. Yes ... in this case, I'm going to try it out on my own Rise of the Proletariat game.

I make 2 diagonal folds. One long one, and the second only goes halfway (to the middle). Take note of where the image is positioned.

I make 1 cut along the second fold (goes halfway-to-the-middle). This forms the two triangular "tabs"

I bring the two tabs on top of each other, and glue them together. The entire square turns into a "pyramid" ... the image shows the back. Leftmost is unglued; middle two are brought together imperfectly so you can see how those tabs are positioned. The rightmost of the four has the tabs properly glued.

And here they are "in action".

I used regular cardstock (60 lb / 110 gsm), and it seems "heavy" enough that I don't need to weigh it down. Time will tell. I'm a bit tempted to double-up the thickness just to improve the feel of it. However, I could also just add a penny onto that back portion.

The "hard" part was figuring out the dimensions I needed to make it fit onto the hex grid! For those interested, the side of the original square becomes the width of the back-side of the base; and the "depth" of the base is half of that.

Obviously, there are still two sides to the paper, so I could print something on the back half. You could also "stack" several of them.

I'm actually thinking I might make myself a Print-and-Play copy of Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War ... Each spy is made of two stand-ups that are stacked up. The "front" piece has the letters; the "back" piece has the movement/ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like tri-fold standups. First saw them in Marvel superheroes RPG and have personally used them for games I've designed since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's more pics ...

Blue Army Phalanx Formation!
...and...
since someone was saying that Standees don't stack well in another thread ...
... these Standees can stack up !

The ability to stack can be used to create modular front-sides connected to back-sides ... which could then be used for Fog of War mechanics ...... here's a game of Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War using these stackable standees

I pulled apart two of the pairs to show the four standees separately in the middle of the picture. In this case, the standees with the letters are the "backs"; and the standees with the directional pictograph are the "fronts". You insert the directional-standee into the concave part of the letter-standee. In the game of confusion, you can see how your opponent's pieces move; but you can't see how your pieces move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. Double sided you could have secret information on the inner cusp.

and heres my own trifolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Nicely done. Double sided you could have secret information on the inner cusp.

and heres my own trifolds.

Those are for the Postcard Game contest, right? Looks really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Also made some for Dragons Dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post-It Notes are great for this, as I just discovered, at the "markers and pencils" pre-PnP phase of playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to make this recently. No clips, not hard to make & can stand firmly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
links to other recent threads

Your opinion?

Help on making Bases for Standing Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I threw together a rough idea of a pretty sturdy paper fold that I've been nervously doing to post-it notes for years. I took one of your units and made this. They can also be stacked and there is no glue necessary. If you are interested I can try for a higher quality version to show it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D4RKSH33P wrote:
I threw together a rough idea of a pretty sturdy paper fold that I've been nervously doing to post-it notes for years. I took one of your units and made this. They can also be stacked and there is no glue necessary. If you are interested I can try for a higher quality version to show it better.

I can almost imagine how you did it, and I can probably follow an origami-like guide if you can provide that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
D4RKSH33P wrote:

I can almost imagine how you did it, and I can probably follow an origami-like guide if you can provide that.

From the photo, it looks like:
1) Valley-fold edge to edge and unfold.
2) Rotate 90 degrees and repeat step 1.
3) Mountain-fold corner to corner and unfold.
4) Rotate 90 degrees and repeat step 3.
5) Push the center point up, while pulling the edges down and in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.