United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play a long game over several days, should I be logging that as 1 play in total, or 1 play per day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do it either way, and there are probably people on BGG who do it both ways, but personally I would log it as only one play. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would say just one play. Heck, if you do the play by e-mail kind of thing with slow players, it can take a week or more just to play a game of Cartagena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'd consider it as one play. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually made a switch, personally. If I play Hive 5 times in an hour, I call it playing Hive once.

If I play Duel of Ages for an hour, then finish the game the next day, that counts as two plays.

I realize this is backwards, but it works better for me. In a household where we play Hex and (soon) Fortress Berlin, it gives me a better idea of how I spent my gaming time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If I play a long game over several days, should I be logging that as 1 play in total, or 1 play per day?

If you live for 80 years, is that considered one life?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Hungadunga wrote:
Quote:

If you live for 80 years, is that considered one life?

goo

The clever man knows a lifetime is not measured in years, but rather by how many time he realizes all his life that came before him was only a prequel to all the years he has left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing games on spielbyweb, the games typically go over multiple days. I record this as one play. I record the game as played on the day it ends, rather than the day started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo Jason, I log a multi-day game (most often PBeM) as a single play, on the day the game ends.

I should note, however, that I log all games within a single gaming session as of the day that session starts. My group meets Friday nights and often plays into the early (and sometimes not-so-early) Saturday morning hours; I log all games played as having been played on Friday, even if they were started after midnight ("Its not tomorrow until you sleep").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a tricky one. The "I played the game on [date] [x] times" is clearly targeted at shorter games. I can certainly get through several games of Carcassonne in an evening. Other more complicated games I play, mainly board wargames, are going to take quite a bit longer. Maybe there's an opportunity to capture average playing time by altering the dialog to "I finshed [x]games on [date]in [y] hours" and allowing [y] be rather large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an apparently little known trick that might help. For long games, I enter a 1 Qty for the first day and then a zero Qty for additional days.

BGG doesn't allow you to enter zero directly, but you can enter a decimal # in the Qty field of the Games Played function and it appears to truncate the decimal. I enter ".001" just in case it is storing the decimal.

This also works for expansion plays. I record a "1" for the base game, and ".001" for each expansion. Its not perfect, but it is the best way I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
tpancoast wrote:
There is an apparently little known trick that might help. For long games, I enter a 1 Qty for the first day and then a zero Qty for additional days.

BGG doesn't allow you to enter zero directly, but you can enter a decimal # in the Qty field of the Games Played function and it appears to truncate the decimal. I enter ".001" just in case it is storing the decimal.

This also works for expansion plays. I record a "1" for the base game, and ".001" for each expansion. Its not perfect, but it is the best way I know.

I use this trick occasionally, although for a slightly different purpose. I get a good percentage of my gaming in at work, during lunch. We only have an hour, so to learn a game like Caylus, La Citta or Louis XIV, we spend one day going over the rules and playing a few turns and the next day actually playing a game. For the rules learning session with a couple turns, I record that as 0.01 plays (or 0 plays) and the next day as 1. Helps me remember that we spent one day learning and the next playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpancoast wrote:

That sounds good to me! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.