Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game dozens of times and each time it's just as good if not better then the last. This game has a lot of elements that are missing in other games of this sort and one is strategy. Sure there is luck like any other game that uses dice and random cards but you really have to think through your moves each turn of the game and that makes it all the more exciting. Since you must roll each turn who gets the initiative and then decide the sequence of your warriors this initiative roll is an element to this game that makes it unique because that roll alone can sometimes make or break the game for you.
Hybrid contains some excellent minis and the artwork is fantastic on all the cards, board sections and rulebook. The missions offered in the rulebook will give you tons of hours of play even with only the minis provided in the box. Which leads to the next subject the expansion of the warriors available. This brings in the hobby part of the game, getting more excellent Rackham figs and adding them to your collection. This isn't neccesary but expands the game to new boundaries. Many extra character cards are added in the box so you have the choice to build on one or both of the factions from the rich Arklash world.

Game play is very inolved with first designing your group of warriors. This is left quite open ended accept the amount of figs and the total rank. Each warrior has a rank of 1-4 and the mission will give you a maximum allowance. There are usually one or more objectives to obtain so it's not always kill all your opponents warriors although sometimes this is the mission.
I won't go into all the details of gameplay, I did a write up on my web page that goes into a bit more detail.
This review is to let players know that it's a very well designed game and is top quality in art, rules and miniatures. It's a fantastic game for those who enjoy fantasy with a rich back ground, unique rules that need strategic abilities and like some elements of luck and dice rolling.
It's also a great game for those that enjoy the hobby of collecting anf painting miniatures.

The only small problem that I have run into with some of the people that have acquired this game is the rules. They are translated from french and sometimes seem a little unlcear. Although I have found that we were able to get through these issues quite easily but we have also been playing games of this sort for years. There is an FAQ and the game has an expansion that adds many extra's to the game plus it is supported through Rackhams magazine Cry Havoc. Even some RPG rules and campaign systems have been introduced to the game.

Although many have compared this game to Warhammer Quest, Space Hulk and other similar games it really stands alone in design and game play.

I personally rate this game a 10/10 but to the average gamer and some of those veterans out there who prefer Caylus or similar games it still stands as a 9/10 because I also enjoy games of that sort.

Roberious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
markus
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I might be wrong but as far as I know activation roll comes first, then you chose activation sequence. At least that's what it states on page 16 and page 34 of the Hybrid rulebook. Or are you referring to something else with initiative roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the review, thanks for catching that and although we do play it the right way for some reason I wrote the sequence down wrong in my review.
Roberious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.