Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I am brand new at Puerto Rico. In fact I just placed an order
for this game at my friendly local gaming store and look forward to
playing it.

The owner of the store I go to talks about how he played the original
Puerto Rico so many times when it first came out that he "Broke the Game" and can't play again because it has lost any newness since his
group would play the same optimum strategy each time.

My question is whether this expansion breaths new life into this game for Veterans?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the game is broken and if someone claims to have 'broken' it it's probably because they play the same way each time, with the same people each time, who don't change their approach either. Any game suffers from this problem if your opponents aren't learning from their mistakes.

There is no optimal strategy unless you know what your opponents will do each turn. Then you might as well play solitaire.

The expansion is not necessary to have, but it's a free download so it's nice to try. My problem with it is the massive effect it has on game balance. Sure, it freshens up the game with brand new buildings, but it also adds a lot of change into the mix. Whether this adds or detracts from your enjoyment is probably something only you can decide.

I tried the expansion and to be honest I don't think I'll bring it out much. The original game, although very familiar, is just too good to spoil with the balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our group it "shook things up"...

I had noticed that each of us took a certain strategy entering into they game. Two people always snatched up the hospice when possible. The first time we used the expansion I just rolled dice to choose the buildings in play and the hospice got taken out.

It took all the scripted aspects of the game and threw them out the window and made us think again.

I found it refreshing and we all enjoyed the changes.

The next standard game we played also worked because the expansion takes made us think a little different through the game and we applied the new insights to the next time we played standard PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to add that in my opinion, it takes many games of Puerto Rico to consider yourself a 'veteran'. You should get months of play out of the base game. It's really over to you, however, if/when you want to try the expansion. It's your game and you can always go back to original rules if you don't like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game and after 2 games I could see the university was a terrible value and no one would buy it. There is a couple other questionable ones as well. We bought it for the lousy 5 bucks and could not be happier as we feel it balances out the building selection nicely by exchanging 2 or 3 buildings.

Will it breathe new life to the game though, probably not depending on why it got stale in the first place. Most of the expansion stuff is too good actually and it would unbalance the game IMO. There are some people who have made a whole variety of other buildings though that probably would breathe new life in the game if they are any good and balanced, I'm not sure, it will be a long time before I need to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great expansion.

You haven't lived until you've bought a big building for 2 doubloons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game round about 1/3 of the PR games is with expansion.
I like both equally good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.