Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
Session Report for March 18, 2000 (by Eddie Campisano)
Roll Call: Dave, Jenn, Eddie, Carol

Session Length: 3 hours
Session Details: Two more games played on this Saturday session. One, Torres, is a particular favorite with our group which we don't get to play often enough. The second game was Expedition. Dave and Jenn have played this game but it was new to the group.

Expedition Details: Our first game of the evening was Expedition. This is a reprint of another game by Wolfgang Kramer called Wildlife Adventure. The theme has been changed from one of searching out exotic wildlife to exploring archeological sites around the world. It is a very easy game to learn with an exceptional educational value and, for those reasons, make this an excellent family style game which should be played with children. Yet the game play is anything but childish. Each player is dealt eight cards. These cards are used by the players to score points and each card depicts one of the archeological sites located on the game board; which is a map of the world. Unfortunately, for non German speakers, the text on the cards which describe each site in detail is in German. Most of the archeological sites on the map would be relatively familiar to anyone who has watched a National Geographic special on television. However, a few sites were unknown to me and I was finding myself desperately wishing I could read the cards for those sites!

Dave and Jenn had previously played Expedition and quickly helped Carol and I learn this game. The idea is to begin an expedition and then extend that expedition to various archeological sites for which you are holding cards. If you successfully visit one of these sites than you will score points for that card. You also score bonus points for designated sites. However, your opponents have the ability to redirect any expedition and will often deliberately lead any expedition away from the sites you need to visit. In our game Dave kept an eye on the cards which form the general pool of sites and profited by visiting a number of them. Jenn and Carol were both successful in leading expeditions to sites for which they had cards. I had three sites to visit in Africa but had two expeditions turned away by my fellow archeologists and was therefore frustrated in any attempt to gain those points. The game was fairly close for everyone but me and I had my money on Dave that he
would win. He seemed to be playing a very smart game. But, toward the end game, Jenn made some amazing moves that extended her expeditions and scored on several sites; including her bonus sites. Carol was also scoring steadily and I could see she was collecting a number of successful expeditions. Dave, it seems, was finally stymied and his point total began to stagnate. I finally scored a few points but only because the other visited sites for which I held cards. This barely kept me in the game. However, the game finally ended and the scores showed two distinct levels of success. Jenn had won, with Carol very close on her heels. Dave and I brought up the rear. However, to Dave's credit, he did play a much smarter game than I and our close scores are no indication that he played as poorly as I did! Congratulations to the girls for playing so well!

Score: Jenn=12, Carol=11, Dave=8, Eddie=7
Ratings: Jenn=6.5, Carol=7, Dave=8, Eddie=7
Comments: (Eddie) This was a fun game and it played fast. This is a perfect game for which to interest non-gamers into the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.