Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a little of my background, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/770205#770205. I'm on a business trip this week. Since a co-worker was coming along and we'd not have a lot to do at night, I figured that bringing a game along was a great idea. I'd recently purchased Citadels, so I threw the unopened box into my bag.

We met in the hotel lobby this evening and unpacked the box. He read the instructions while I separated the bits. We shuffled the cards, and being older I was crowned king. I preceeded to pick warlord, who wouldn't want to destroy other districts. He picked, and I picked again. The look on his face when I destroyed the nice district he had just built was worth the cost of the game.

We played 2 games and enjoyed it. It took quite a while to play as we were learning, but was getting quicker towards the end. The game did require a lot of analysis, with 2 players you're always presented with having a 50% chance of knowing each of the 2 cards that the opponent chose. So a lot of the tactics were trying to figure out which 2 of those 4 cards he would have taken based upon his current needs. Definitely not a game to play if you don't want to think.

By the end of the 2nd game we were starting to pick up some of the tactics, although they'd only work in the 2 player game. It looks like the tactics will change drastically depending on the number of players. Now that we have a basic understanding, I expect tomorrow night to be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, but who won these two games?

My wife and I play two player all the time. Works well and fairly quick once you get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won both the games last night, but wasn't really counting them as neither of knew the game. Tonight was a different matter.

In the first game, I built the School of Magic, which ensured I had money to buy what I want. I played defensively after that, and pulled away for a 40 - 20 victory.

In the 2nd game I was ahead 18 - 15 with 5 district each. He used the architect and built 2 cheapies to tie it at 18 - 18, but he had 7 cards. Knowing the warlord was worthless the next turn, I tried the assasin and guessed wrong, he used the magician to swap my 4 cards to his one, then using a district that allows discards for a gold, he built up 6 and used my biggest card. I built a 5 gold one using the last of my gold. He ended up winning 31 - 26. Fun stuff, I don't know how I missed at the end, I'm going blame it on a long day.

Great games, we each had the assasin/thief combo go off on both causing much muttering and shaking of fists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, night number 3 started out with a great game. My opponent basically played quick trying to beat me down with the assasin. Things were looking bad for me, he had 7 districts, I only had 6. He had 19 points, and no gold and 3 cards. I was at 18 points with no gold and 1 card. He had all 5 colors, I only had 4. He played his assasin and guessed wrong, he played his 8th district, luckily it was only 2 points, a huge mistake on his part. He should have waited.

Now I was set he only had 21 points. His 2nd turn came up, the magician, he traded some cards with the deck, but couldn't play anymore because he was at 8. If he had waited to play, he probably got larger cards. But he thought he had me.

Up came my first character a king. I picked the king to get money, and as part of the outguessing the assasin. Played a 3 gold district, unfortunately it wasn't the color I needed. My 2nd character came up, the bishop. I chose to draw cards, picked up the extra gold. Looking at it, there it was the missing color, it was only 1 gold, but well worth it. I played it. We scored it, JonnyG 27 - Terry 26. He thought he'd had me beat, but I got to 5 colors and 8 cards and just snuck by. I won even though he had hit me with assasin almost every round, never missing till the round where it mattered.

The 2nd game I decided to play assasin more as I was pissed about dying 5 or so times the game before. I managed to hit him several times with the assasin this game. Just like last night I pulled the house of magic, which gave me an extra color for income purposes. Great card, especially in 2 player where you can use it for extra gold with either the king, bishop, merchant, or warlord. I managed to destroy a 5 gold district he had out early and got a 3 card lead on him. I ended up getting to 8 cards when he only had 6, whipping him 35 - 20. Fun stuff.

I really like this game, although I've only played with 2 players. It seems it will be really different with more players. 2 players and you always have a 50% chance of knowing each role the opponent has. So you spend tons of time analyzing and trying to outguess your opponent. Seems like it would be more chaotic with more players and a lot less analyzing trying to figure out exactly who the opponent took.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.