Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Keeping
United States
Newburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having won a free copy of Railroad Tycoon from my friends at the Geek, we finally found the time (we thought) and the inclination to take it on.

Our group, whose members think of themselves as old hands at Age of Steam, thought that we could pick this game up quickly. And we did, except that some of us were able to understand and capitalize on the implications of the new rules more than others. Here's how it went...

Taking our cue from the rules and the strategic advice therein, three of us (Ron, Tom and Andrew) contested the northeast. Jeremy went to the southeast (Charleston and thereabouts), while Rick started in the west. Jeremy was able to get some extra points for doing some early shipping, Tom got a special bonus for the Baltimore to Toledo link, Andrew cleaned up with a New York to Chicago link, and Rick impressed us all with his solitary position in the west, and the potential of his KC to Chicago link. Yours truly, the writer, accomplished exactly zip with his very clever, very expensive, and very worthless network from New York to Boston to Buffalo.

The game was called on account of time with Andrew in the lead with 25 points (he accomplished his objective), Jeremy in second, Tom in third, Rick in 4th, and the writer in a distant 5th place with negative 7 points.

What we learned...pay attention to the special cards... they're worth the effort. And budget more than 2 1/2 hours. 4 is more like it.

All in all, a great game. Admittedly, not as deep as Age of Steam, but there's a lot of enjoyment to be had with the wider scope. Our only objection...Age of Steam had EVANSVILLE, INDIANA on the map, and this map omitted it...shame on the designers for this oversight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Eagle did an excellent job of 'americanizing' this excellent german-style game.

The game engine on the original (no pun intended) is one of the more robust and unique that we've played but there were several minor goofs and idiosyncracies that seem to have been adequately addressed.

I'm intrigued and impressed by the new round-based action mechanic but find the first player bidding method a little kingmakerish (Call Webster's! I've got a new word for them!)

All in all I look forward to repeated play and exploration past the early stages we reached in this session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reginald wrote:

And budget more than 2 1/2 hours. 4 is more like it.

Wow you guys must play slow! We easily finished a 4 player game 90 minutes with rules explanation. I like to keep things moving though. Another 4 player game with slower players took closer to 2 hours but not over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.