Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, yes, the box is big. Too big. I loved taking the original with me on flights or on camping trips, but I'll need to repack this one.

OK, so that's over. The game itself. The artwork is quite nice, and a big improvement over the first game. The nice big vertical pieces give a nice feel for the game, and allow more room for the nice artwork.

My daughter and I played the varient game today, and really enjoyed it. It definitely had a very different feel to it. I liked Wormtongue who has -1 attack, but can retreat if defeated. This allowed me to dump many low cards and recycle my cards. I managed to kill Theoden before he got to Gondor to become stronger. But my daughter used Treebeard to jump into Fangorn, where he has a strength of 6. She would move other characters in, then scramble them. I'd attack, and guess wrong, and get killed by treebeard. She used this tacctic to shuffle people forward till she got Sam (because Gollum had killed Frodo, so Frodo had to pass the ring to Sam).

I was very impressed. Changing the characters/skills has given the game a very different feel, and requires a different strategy. I imagine drafting between the original and new characters will really keep the game fresh, since you can always have different combinations and interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.