Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, im quite new to ASL having read only the starter kit 1&2 rules and playing the very first starter kit 1 scenario five times.
I feel i have a pretty good understanding of the basic rules now but im very very confused about how SMC work in close combat. In fact im so confused about it and can barely even begin to formulate a question about what i dont understand! Would some kind soul be able to explain it to me as though i were a small child or even better provide an example detailing the options available and their effects of a combat involving one or more SMC on each side?

Thanks,

Jesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't have my ASLSK#1 rules handy (loaned to another budding player), but I can at least cite the ASLRB. An SMC in CC has an inherent firepower of 1. This firepower can be added to any MMC firepower in the same location for CC or can be used by the SMC to attack (and subsequently defend) alone. For example, an German 548 and an 8-1 leader are in the same CC location as a Russian 447. The options for the German are to attack with the squad and the SMC (ratio: 6-4) or two separate attacks (5-4 and 1-4). If the German attacks with the second option, the Russian squad may attack the leader alone (4:1). If the Germans attack together, the best the Russian can do is 4:6. Additional SMCs simply expand the combinations, but offer nothing further. SMCs may combine with each other, each contributing 1 firepower toward the CC ratio (only one SMC may add the leadership DRM, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Dale,

So what if the russian player in your example also had a leader? Would it be impossible to the german player to attack this leader in this turn because the german player has to declare his attacks before the russian player could declare that his leader is attacking alone? i.e. only the attacking players SMC can ever be attacked directly?
And who gets to specify which MMC the SMC are grouped with in defence? For instance, using your example but with the russian having a leader, can the german say he is attacking the 447 or alternatively say he is attacking both the 447 AND the leader? If only the former is valid can the russian then say that his leader is helping in the defence?

Thanks,

Jesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jesse, this thread also discusses SMC in CC quite a bit... it may answer some of your questions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/78848

You have to scroll about a third of the through to find where the subject of SMC & CC comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Jay, that pretty much answers all of my questions. I looked high and low on these forums for that very informations but somehow managed to miss that. The problem is that the sk rules never explain or even hint towards the fact that players must declare prior to declaring other attacks that SMC are attacking on their own.

I have another question about CC however: in the rules it states that broken units cannot attack but can defend in CC with a -2 DRM against them. When defending what FP does a broken squad use?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The problem is that the sk rules never explain or even hint towards the fact that players must declare prior to declaring other attacks that SMC are attacking on their own.

Well, it's possible that the starter kit rules don't allow SMC to attack by themselves in CC... that would be a logical simplification.

If that's the case, then I apologize once again for giving for giving incorrect answers based on the full ASL rules (as has happened in the past). But I think that some answer is better than none at all... and I hate to see a question go unanswered for more than a day or two. I notice that even experienced players who do have the starter kit rules can make the same mistakes I do... it's just difficult to remember exactly how the ASLSK rules differ from the ASL rules.

Quote:
...in the rules it states that broken units cannot attack but can defend in CC with a -2 DRM against them. When defending what FP does a broken squad use?

Broken units in CC defend with their full (unbroken side) FP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.