Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
Australia
Ebor
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread it was suggested that the buildings could be 'balanced' by modifying their VP value rather than their costs. Has there been any more research into this method of balancing out the basic buildings?

chx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there has I haven't seen it. However I think it is a minority of the PR community that believe such balancing to be necessary (shoot me like the dog I am if I'm wrong). The only building that seems to be left unattended in my experience is the University and various options have been given to make it more appealing including it being bought 'live' with a colonist in place.

House rules are great if a group prefer the variants introduced but for my money the VP attributed to a building should not be its reason for purchase, rather its contribution to the VP making machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
If there has I haven't seen it. However I think it is a minority of the PR community that believe such balancing to be necessary (shoot me like the dog I am if I'm wrong). The only building that seems to be left unattended in my experience is the University and various options have been given to make it more appealing including it being bought 'live' with a colonist in place.

Every time someone wants to try a variant, people tell him "he's in the minority". An idea is not bad just because you're in the minority. It's only when you argue that a game is broken because of a minority opinion that you need to know that you are in the minority. And you still may be right.

FWIW, I would add that Large Warehouse is also up there with University, followed closely by Office, followed by Hospice and Lg Sugar, and followed by Lg Indigo and Construction Hut, unless you're playing five player.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
House rules are great if a group prefer the variants introduced but for my money the VP attributed to a building should not be its reason for purchase, rather its contribution to the VP making machine.

That is a "majority" opinion that I think is very wrong, and I have been vocal about this before. And even though I know I'm in the minority about this, do consider that I am a fairly good player who has played over a thousand games of PR.

The argument against this opinion is pretty straightforward: at the end of the game, count your victory points. How many come from your red building points?

Yes, of course the "feature" of the building generally gives you more victory points that the red number. Nevertheless the victory points gained are not statistically high enough to ignore the red numbers of the buildings. When considering a Harbor, Wharf, or large building, the red number is significant in deciding which to buy. When choosing a building from first, second, or third column, the total number of points gained, including the red number, is very important.

So there. :-)

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.