Subject: Mire? Where does this come from? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Meier
Germany
Ergolding
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I just recently had a short discussion with Badger about the origin of the English name "Mire" for this nice little game here.

Being German, more exactly Bavarian, I only know this game as "Meier" (which doesn't really mean anything, but is a rather common German last name; mine, for example) oder "Meiern" (which would be the verb form of Meier, if such a verb existed).
I was kind of suprised to see the name "Mire" pop up.

So what name is correct? Is this the result of courageous Bavarian settlers bringing their native language into parts unknown? The only thing I know is that the last name "Meier" derives from the Latin "maior", which means "greater than". Which kind of makes sense for this game.
So I guess that the original original name was probably "Maior", but seeing as the general populace isn't to fond of Latin, it was soon slurred into "Meier" or "Mire", although I'm pretty sure it would've transformed right into "Major" for English speaking countries, which makes me believe the name "Mire" came to existence via Germany. As Badger has also mentioned to be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.