Subject: Newbie Questions: Favours and the Inn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I apologise if these questions are obvious, I've only played once...

1) If I have a worker in the 2nd space of the Inn, can I place another in the 1st space to prevent someone else from doing so, and effectively usurp myself?

2) Ouch! The favours. Very complex. The money, resource and prestige Favours seem obvious: I assume when I advance my favour marker I simply get that thing there and then, yes? But for the building discount track, how do I use it? If I earn a Favour in turn 3 from Jousting, does it keep till I get the chance to build an appropriate tile a few phases later? Or would taking a building discount in phase 3 be useless? What if I don't build an appropriate building till several turns later?

3) This may seem blatantly obvious, but the rules do not actually say....what is the scoring track round the outside of the board used for? It's for tracking prestige, right? I can throw away the bits of paper I was using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1) Yes.

2) Favors are simple: when you get one, you chose a line (points, money, resources or buildings) thus advancing your marker there (if possible: remmeber that the most advanced squares are available only in phases II and III of the game) AND gaining whatever your marker has just reached OR already surpassed (e.g. the first time you advance on the "money" line, you get 3$; the second time 4$ and so on; the first time you advance on the "resources" line you get a food, the second time you can opt for a food or a stone or a wood, etc.). When you reach a square on the "buildings" line, you may IMMEDIATELY build the proper building (and with the shown discount!).

3) Yes.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
You mean I could immediatey build something via a Favour even if I have not placed a worker in the appropriate builder tile?

If so, if I lack the other (non-discounted) ingredients for a building, I'd lose the favour yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
GaryB wrote:
You mean I could immediatey build something via a Favour even if I have not placed a worker in the appropriate builder tile?

Yes!
Think of that favour line as a sort of another Carpenter tile, etc.

GaryB wrote:
If so, if I lack the other (non-discounted) ingredients for a building, I'd lose the favour yes?

Yes.
You could opt to do so just to advance on that line (rather than choosing another line and get the favour there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point we seem to be beating around the bush about is this: yes, when you choose the favor that gives you a building discount, you have to use it right then. You can't save it for later.

Don't choose it if you can't use it; that's just not a good move. There are too many other handy favors you should be choosing if you can't use that one at the time you earn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Müller
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

1) If I have a worker in the 2nd space of the Inn, can I place another in the 1st space to prevent someone else from doing so, and effectively usurp myself?

When you place a worker on the 2nd space the first space will already have been taken! I don't get your question at all.

The first player to place a worker in the stables puts his worker on "1", the second on "2" and the third on the last place "3". This ist the new turn order for the following turn, moving anyone not in the stables down accordingly.

CU,
Olav

*edit* Some hours later: Yeah. Doh. Maybe I should learn the language first. Inn != Stables. Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
You have confused the Inn with the Stables.

As for the other replies, thanks guys. I'm not sure if you could hear it from where you were sitting, but there was the sound of a massive penny dropping at my end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.