Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDITOR’S NOTE: My full review will appear in the next issue of Knucklebones magazine.

Paul and Jennifer brought along Parlay, their unique creation which combines Poker (in many of its varieties) with word games. They had no intention of shoving the game down our throats, but we were most interested in giving it a go.

I must admit that I was initially very skeptical. I am NOT a poker fan ... period. I just don't enjoy the game. I even politely warned Paul & Jennifer of this in advance. So, I entered the game with a heightened sense of apprehension.

Much to my amazement, I really enjoyed the game. One must form both poker hands and words in order to score points. As in many word games, the more letters in a word -- and the more "difficult" the letters -- the more points that can potentially be scored. So, using the difficult "J", "Z" and "Qu" can be handsomely rewarded! However, players must not only form words, but poker hands, too. The player who forms the best poker hand has his score doubled, and of the players who stuck-it-out and did not fold, only the player with the hightest overall score in a hand scores points. If you fold, you do score points for your base word, but NO bonuses. So, the game maintains that "hold 'em or fold 'em" tension present in Poker.

The game includes rules for several poker variations. We played several and they were all enjoyable.

The game really is quite good, and should appeal to the mainstream public. Card game enthusiasts will find much to like here, as will word game aficionados. We played with a group of gamers, and the game received "thumbs-up" from everyone involved.

Finals: Gail 185, Paul 185, Robert 145, Jim 125, Greg 75, Terry 55

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.