Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Review of LogiQuad

I played this game a lot in the early 70s. I didn’t bring it to school, however, because some “friends” would have thought it funny to take a swipe at the pyramid and send marbles rolling all around the cafeteria!

Red and blue players alternate placing marbles. Initially you must place your marble in a square of the 6 x 6 plastic base grid. Later in the game, if four adjacent marbles form a square on any level and at least one of them is your color, you may place your marble on top of them and the pyramid grows higher. If you do so and either three or four of the base marbles are your color, you score a point. You may not place your marble on top if none of the four base marbles is your color. If you have no legal move, you lose your turn. The game continues until the pyramid is complete with 36 + 25 + 16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 90 marbles, and the player with the most points wins.

One good strategy is to form an L with three marbles of your color. That way, whether your or your opponent plays the fourth base marble, you may play on top and get the point (and you want your opponent to spend a turn adding that 4th base marble, not you). Adding a fourth marble on the other side of the L makes a T, guaranteeing two future points. However, a U with 5 marbles only guarantees one future point.

OO
O

O
OO
O

OO
O
OO

Pros: (a) It’s quick and easy to learn, (b) you have to think three-dimensionally, planning one or two levels above the current one, (c) together you’re building an attractive three-dimensional pattern. (d) there’s no luck involved and the more skillful player usually wins.
Cons: (a) It’s abstract with no fun theme, (b) It’s probably hard to find.

My rating: 6.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you for the review.

This sounds very close to Upper Hand
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4545/upper-hand

I love Upper Hand and I now would like to try LogiQuad.
What do you think of Upper Hand compare to LogiQuad, if you know both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.