BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mesopotamia or Reef Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to like a mix of game that seem to point more toward one game or the other.

Reef Encounter is a heavier game with a lot more depth. You're liking Caylus tells me you would probably like Reef Encounter. I personally think Reef Encounter is terrific.

Mesopotamia I found very good and I like it particularly well because I its lighter (I consider it middleweight or maybe a tad lighter) and all the while fun and interesting. Ticket to Ride points to Mesopotamia.

So Reef Encounter is more cerebral and Mesopotamia more playful. I guess I'd just tell you to consider your group of friends. Do they prefer heavier games (having more conflict) or lighter games that are playful and fun.

Both games are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter is an excellent game. Lots of interesting choices and interaction between the players. You could try a game on spielbyweb first to see if it is something you'd like. (I'm be happy to coach you through a game.)

I haven't played Mesopotamia yet, however what I've been reading is moving it farther and farther down my list of games to buy. Right now, I'd like to play it, but almost certainly won't buy it till I have a chance to play someone else's copy first. (Rick Thornquist recently posted about Mesopotamia over at Boardgamenews.)
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MESOPOTAMIA is akin to TIKAL in that you have the same amount of action points to use every turn (except the 1st) to accomplish your goals. You can teach the rules in 5 minutes and the game plays very fast so there's time for repeat playings. Each game is a little different depending on what terrain is discovered where and you have to adjust strategy on the run. I really enjoy the game except I'm still wondering where the frikkin volcanoes are in Mesopotamia?
REEF ENCOUNTER is a whole different animal. Good luck explaining the rules to a casual gaming group as it's quite complex (as far as Euros go). You have to play this mostly with other people who like it and have played before or it's going to be a frustrating evening constantly explaining the rules. The suggestion above to try it on "spielbyweb" 1st is a good one to see if it's right for your gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef.

Mesopotamia has real end game issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo wrote:

uh-oh, care to expound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I would categorize RE as overly complex, but the manner in which the rules are presented does make quite a difference. For example the way they are presented on SBW (and, I assume, in the rulebook) is not particularly intuitive, but good suggestions are made on the RE page for rules explainers. But gameplay is certainly deep, so since the majority of your games appear to live on the deep end of the pool, I'd say it should be Reef Encounter for you! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
fendwick wrote:
I don't know that I would categorize RE as overly complex, but the manner in which the rules are presented does make quite a difference. For example the way they are presented on SBW (and, I assume, in the rulebook) is not particularly intuitive, but good suggestions are made on the RE page for rules explainers.

From what I understand, the rules that come with the game are heavy on examples and this makes learning the game much easier compared to trying to read the rules on spielbyweb. Having the components in hand is also sure to make learning easier. (Caylus was like this for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
jmilum wrote:
sumo wrote:
uh-oh, care to expound?

Methinks that Sumo is referring to the fact that if all players play optimally (something which isn't very difficult), the person who wins is the one who started the game, or that someone can play kingmaker by using his card(s). I did encounter the situation once (when I was first taught the game), but never the subsequent five games, when I lost by a margin no kingmaker could bridge.

Since optimal development depens on where the resources are located, I conjecture that while there is some possibility for an end too close for comfort, it won't surface all that often. Or, in other words, not sufficiently often to decide that Mesopotamia is a pass because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MESO is a wonderful game I really enjoy and think most females would. It's a lot like shopping, a wood on sale here, rock for sale there...

REEF is missing a Shark that could eat the Parrotfish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MESO is a wonderful game I really enjoy and think most females would. It's a lot like shopping, a wood on sale here, rock for sale there...

REEF is missing a Shark that could eat the Parrotfish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the learned gentleman says. In both games I have had a situation where I have that 'obligation' to delay someone who is about to win, but that will only let someone else win, or possibly not. Think Attika.

It may be worth pointing out that Meso is also deadly dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.