Subject: Game search with exact name? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a checkbox next to the name of a game, so you could do an exact search on the name. Is that still there? Since I often go to "go" and "ra" to enter plays, this is very handy to me; both report a large number of non-hits with the current system.

The checkbox was hard to use before, maybe having one of the "search" menu be "Game (exact)"? That would be very handy, and even better than before because it would be clearer to users what it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruprecht
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You can do an exact search for "Go" by entering "^Go$". The '^' indicates that the results must begin with the string, and the '$' requires that they end with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! So it's a regexp search! I didn't know that.

Still not so user friendly to non-programmers, but that's OK I guess.

(BTW, when I said in my first post the checkbox was "Hard to use," I meant to say "hard to find"...it was unlabelled was my only complaint, otherwise it was great.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never found the checkbox to be a hassle: I just hit TAB, SPACEBAR, ENTER after typing in my game name. (TAB to move to the checkbox, SPACEBAR to fill it in, and ENTER to submit the search.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I still think it would be more intuitive to use * as the delimiter (i.e., "*opoly" for all the Monopoly games), and have the search engine default to an exact-word search. It would cut down on a lot of false drops, and speed up the search process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.