Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Railroad Tycoon or Conquest of the Empire??!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

I had some money to spare and rushed to the gameshop last Saturday!

Well it turned out to be a deception rather than something to celebrate. Reason: I could not made up my mind...

Following games were present that drew my attention:

-Game of Thrones
-Railroad Tycoon
-Conquest of the Empire
-Byzantium

I was so in doubt and stood left with nothing....zombie

At the GoT and Byzantium were on hold an I had to make up my mind: Railroad Tycoon or Conquet odf the Empire.

I know: two completely different games but only money to buy one...
Originally I am a wargamer so I was naturally attracted to Conquest. However lately I am getting more interested in German style games and non-wargames.

Any objective suggestions which one I should buy (first)??!!

Thanks for the help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Can you regularly get people together?

You need 5 to get Conquest of the Empire, or Game of Thrones to work well.
Railroad Tycoon is decent with 4 players.

Conquest is a Euro type wargame. If you still lean towards combat in your Euros I think you will like this better. Have you tried Struggle of Empires? It is similar. Railroad Tycoon is a pretty looking game but I've heard the board is subject to warping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it even possible to make an objective suggestion about preference? In the end it all boils down to preference.... Sadly I don't own any of these, but I want Railroad Tycoon, so objectively I think you should get it. Whoops, I lied, I own Game of Thrones. It hit the table exactly once and was semi-well received. It never showed up again. Of course in my particular experience that's not unusual, even for the very best of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want a solid game and don't care about plastic figures, you could go for the games Conquest of the Empire and Railroad Tycoon are based on. Struggle of Empires and Age of Steam - depending on the price on the Eagle Games from your FLGS it will only cost you 10-15 euros more - and you will get 2 fantastic games.

www.evo-games.de has both in stock for just under 48 Euro

I don't have Rairoad Tycoon (yet - it will be here any day now ) but i have both Conquest of the Empire and Struggle of Empires and i must say that SoE are the better game. But it plastic miniatures give you a kick it probably won't satisfy you when compared to CotE.

Age of Steam - fantastic game but Railroad Tycoon should be really great too.

If you have the time to play two games...... i know what i would do

EDIT: remember you need a really big table to play both of the Eagle Games - not so with the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have payed Railroad Tycoon this week.

It's the best Eagle Game yet - just as good as Age of Steam. of course they differ but both get a big thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here we are,

I have bought Conquest of the Empire and I am really pleased with it. It has been a while since I had so much fun. It plays quickly and is exciting!

Still I am very curious about RR Tycoon!!

Just save a bit and get it next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you should - it's a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.