Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Fairchild
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is shameful to release a game without enough pieces with which to play it. Here is our experience:

1. There are not enough playing pieces included to make it through even the first turn for some powers.

2. There are not enough chips included, of either color or type, to support the game.

3. No paper money? Really? Have you played the game with a so-called "banker" keeping all powers' on-hand IPCs on paper? Ridiculous. A $100 game cannot manager another few cents in components?

4. As large as the map is, most regions are too small to hold the units they will be required to hold in the course of a normal game.

5. The IPC chart is foolishly placed, not far from the middle of the board. Too far away for anyone to be able to read it, but right in a spot where anyone moving their pieces can knock the markers on the IPC track off their numbers.

It's a terrible shame, because the rules are very good, the combats play quickly and nicely, and the Battle Board is pure genius.

Yes, some people have told me I can buy extra pieces and chips from a certain dealer. Is that the point? If I have to buy ANYTHING extra in order just to play a $100 game as written, Axis & Allies 1914 IS NOT A COMPLETE GAME.

An extremely poor execution of good mechanics. Not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Mark Fischer
United States
Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh critique. It could have been worded better. I would not purchase an incomplete game. I am an Axis and Allies player, I will not purchase, trade for or seek this game. Please tone down the rhetoric of your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:
Harsh critique. It could have been worded better. I would not purchase an incomplete game. I am an Axis and Allies player, I will not purchase, trade for or seek this game. Please tone down the rhetoric of your comments.

??? The reviewer is obviously disappointed in the product he spent $100 on, and he expressed that rather clearly without obscenities or personal attacks. This review is mild compared to some of the reviews I've seen here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:

What is your problem, exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Radford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:

Huh? Seemed like a civil and honest opinion to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:

Say What??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Radford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:

Wait a minute, is this an April Fool's joke? I fell for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron's comments may be the perfect truth, but it's a bit flimsy to call his editorial a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lilithwantsu wrote:
mikasamaru wrote:

Wait a minute, is this an April Fool's joke? I fell for it.

If it were, it would be a very poor one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
cfairchild wrote:
It is shameful to release a game without enough pieces with which to play it. Here is our experience:

1. There are not enough playing pieces included to make it through even the first turn for some powers.

2. There are not enough chips included, of either color or type, to support the game.

3. No paper money? Really? Have you played the game with a so-called "banker" keeping all powers' on-hand IPCs on paper? Ridiculous. A $100 game cannot manager another few cents in components?

4. As large as the map is, most regions are too small to hold the units they will be required to hold in the course of a normal game.

5. The IPC chart is foolishly placed, not far from the middle of the board. Too far away for anyone to be able to read it, but right in a spot where anyone moving their pieces can knock the markers on the IPC track off their numbers.

It's a terrible shame, because the rules are very good, the combats play quickly and nicely, and the Battle Board is pure genius.

Yes, some people have told me I can buy extra pieces and chips from a certain dealer. Is that the point? If I have to buy ANYTHING extra in order just to play a $100 game as written, Axis & Allies 1914 IS NOT A COMPLETE GAME.

An extremely poor execution of good mechanics. Not recommended.

It's a $65 game and if you paid more than that you overpaid. For that price that is about all you will get. Anniversiary was a $100 game and you can see the difference.

Plus money is cheap. $5 from HBG. Same as plastic chips. I would not pay $100 for this game, but I would pay that if it had alot more stuff in it, mainly different sculpts, the rest is icing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
So really this should have been billed as a components review? I have the game and agree with some of the component issues but nothing on the level of disappointment that the IP posts.

Quote:

It's tight but I didn't experience this. We did use every one and with casualties and chips managed to stay ahead of any shortages. Yes, it would have been nice to include about 5 extra infantry units per nation but that's about it.

Quote:

True, we did run out of some "1" chips on occasion. Never ran short on the "5" chips. Again, another 10 chips of each color would have been nice.

Quote:

Didn't miss it. We used the IP chart printed out here on BGG which is an excellent and more efficient way of keeping track of IP's. Paper money is not my personal preference and I'd rather use my mini poker chips which I keep to replace paper money in most of my games.

Quote:

I only found area size to be a problem on the Western Front. I do like the square map format but would rather see the standard A&A rectangular world map in any future versions that would allow expansion of those western European areas. Yes, some areas are tight but hardly a show stopper.

Quote:

Don't use it so don't care if it's even on the board or not. It's there, it's available if you want to use it, but would rather have seen it as a separate board (which still causes the same complaint for some as being to far away to read it or change it).

Quote:
the rules are very good, the combats play quickly and nicely, and the Battle Board is pure genius

Couldn't agree more and this is where the cup is more than half-full for me. I could sit and wait until a future release improves the component quatities and board layout, or I can get it now (as I did) and enjoy it until then. Nobody twisted my arm or forced me to pay for the game against my will. Make your own choice.

My recommendation = recommended. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Yes, it would have been nice to include about 5 extra infantry units per nation but that's about it.
Walt,
I find your critique harsh.
Please tone down your rhetoric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Benny Golson - Groovin' with Golson
badge
Fall Back Down When I Die - Joe Wilkins
mbmbmbmbmb
mikasamaru wrote:

I on the other hand appreciate the candid evaluation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfairchild wrote:

There seem to be quite a few A&A hardcore fans who happily buy two copies of every AA game just to have enough pieces (instead of protesting or even suing them for selling an incomplete game). As long as this loyal fan base exist, it's just clever marketing by Hasbro. Or at least Hasbro believes it's clever.
I bet there will be a new "deluxe" version of 1914 next year with enough pieces. So there will be a few people buying more or less the same game three times.
Personally I'll never buy an A&A game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etagimbo wrote:
cfairchild wrote:

There seem to be quite a few A&A hardcore fans who happily buy two copies of every AA game just to have enough pieces (instead of protesting or even suing them for selling an incomplete game). As long as this loyal fan base exist, it's just clever marketing by Hasbro. Or at least Hasbro believes it's clever.
I bet there will be a new "deluxe" version of 1914 next year with enough pieces. So there will be a few people buying more or less the same game three times.
Personally I'll never buy an A&A game again.

Do you really think so? Would have new sculpts and everything?!? bagbagbagbagbaconbaconbaconbacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The A&A 1940 series was for me a playing mess. The territories are far to stretched for the axis player and the playing time was unacceptable for me. The best Edition, so far, seems to be the 1942 2nd Edition. The game experience is long enough to finish that A&A vanilla in under 6 to 8 hours, which is for me sufficient. No match should last longer for a dice driven game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, it would have been nice to include about 5 extra infantry units per nation but that's about it.

If I'm reading things correctly at http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/, then extra infantry pieces cost $0.50 each. So... with eight armies, this would be 40 pieces, or $20, plus shipping. They also sell an extra bag of chips for $5, so this might be good to throw in the shopping cart as well.

Edit... Looks like HBG is running out of this stuff quickly. Recommend if you're so inclined to grab some extras quickly. At this point they're OOS of German and UK infantry, plus the chip bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess what I read that too. I decided to PLAY the game, all the way through with a kid and fan of A and A. We had a blast. I scavenged some old A and A money and a couple chips, made it to round 3 and didn't need anything but the money (and only needed a couple pieces for 2 rounds). If you blew $100 bucks why not play that game and try to enjoy it. With more reviews like this you'll never resell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The criticism is not at the game, but at the Hasborg suits that saved 10 cents a copy and screwed the players out of a few pieces needed to play the game without going through contortions.

I was fortunate enough to get a bag of Russians and a bag of Germans and 2 extra infantry for most of the rest. I hope that does it and I can continue to play this game with joy for many many years.

I have absolutely no intention to sell this game. The game is fun. The rules are great. There are lots of strategies to explore for years to come. The game feels like WW1. In short, I love it. That doesn't make me resent the suits at Hasborg pinching pennies any less. Conversely, I am glad that the game ever saw the light of day. Many of us have been waiting years for this game. So for me, spending a few bucks with HBG is not a big deal (I like them), but an annoyance directed at bean counters entrenched in Hasbro. The game designers and working folks at Hasbro are great. I've had great support from their customer service in the past (it appears they have done a major overhaul of that division this year and many of the spare game parts are no longer available).

HBG also has some French Renault tanks (FT-17's post-war nomenclature) in the pipeline and I'll be scooping them up when they are made.

This game is fun. It is going to continue to be fun, regardless of corporate weenies sticking it to the customers. Fans of the system and the game will make it work.

BTW, the miniatures can be used with Memoir'44 maps/terrain/cards for a really fun tactical game, too.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb

An extremely poor execution of good mechanics. Not recommended. [/q]

Not a fan of the game(s), but seems like minor points to me.
I doubt that many people who own no other A and A games will start with this one, meaning that most buyers of 1914 already have some other A and A versions and probably have a bunch of money/etc. from them.
Heck, my gaming group uses poker chips when they play these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's tight but I didn't experience this. We did use every one and with casualties and chips managed to stay ahead of any shortages. Yes, it would have been nice to include about 5 extra infantry units per nation but that's about it.

This was our gaming experience as well.

I think you are overstating it. It is annoying that they didn't include a few more infantry pieces, but it can be overcome with the chips and constantly re-stacking. We had to take one infantry figure from the rear of Russia and leave a chip to mark it for part of one turn. Other than that, we were able to make it work...with annoying re-stacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the same issue we experienced with Axis & Allies: 1942. Not enough sculpts, not enough chips, too small board, and massive over-crowding (especially in Europe) - while at the same time, the new unit types (artillery/cruisers) and revised rules were a great addition.

We had to scrounge money and chips from my original MB edition in order to play it...looks like we'll have to do the same with this one, because I am definitely getting Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 - have been waiting for a WWI game in this style/manner for many years! Kind of wish another company was doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielemitkinder wrote:
Kind of wish another company was doing it.

It's a shame we can't buy WotC from Hasbro and run it like a real company...whistle

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
This is more than simply a matter of aesthetics and convenience (but, really, putting the IPC chart in the Sahara is really pathetic).

On more than one occasion with another A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
....with another edition we were forced to use chips. Some carelessness caused tons of trouble on the battle board when we couldn't really what the chips represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.