Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I've seen reference to playing Runebound solo, but the Geeks entry says its for 2-6 players. Is it possible to play solo, and is it possible to win through? Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its excellent for playing solo IMHO.

Essentially (without expansions) there's little player interaction usually anyway. Obviously the game plays a lot quicker this way, and you have the pick of the Markets/Adventures too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runbound make a pretty good solo game. One thing is that when you're playing solo you have to either use the Doom track (but use one extra card before placing a doom token than the manual says for 1 player, otherwise it's impossible) or limit the number of turns some other (like setting a fixed turn limit). It's also recommended that you use the Random Encounter optional rule.
Without these, you can just take all the time in the world to look through the market deck and move around the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
Without these, you can just take all the time in the world to look through the market deck and move around the board.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

When I play solo, I believe I play slower than the doom track would possibly allow, but in practice I only want to play about a 2 hour game, and that market deck is at least 6 hours long. Part of the interest in the adventure is seeing how I can build a Margath-defeating character with what's available, and part of the thrill of the game is taking just that little bit of risk when facing new encounters. I don't know why people want to add all these special rules for solo play - surely the players can regulate themselves to make the game an enoyable experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rayes
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Using the Doom Track and Travel Hazards. Limit the amount of cards to make a doom counter to six. Each time you spend experience to gain a life counter, lower the card amount to create a doom counter by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either Knockouts = Death, or one better, 3 Knockouts = Death. You can chalk it up to "barely escaping" or "someone found you before you died and took you back to the city" or something... Or if you wanted more realism, roll a die:

If you "die" the first time, roll a die.

1st Death: 1-8 you are returned to the city somehow. 9-10 you are dead - time to start over.

2nd Death: 1-6 you are returned to the city somehow. 7-10 you are dead - time to start over.

3rd Death: 1-4 you are returned to the city somehow. 5-10 you are dead - time to start over.

4th Death: 1-2 you are returned to the city somehow (you are really lucky this time!!!). 3-10 You are dead - time to start over.

5th Death: 1 you are returned to the city somehow. 2-10 you are dead - time to start over.

6th Death: Time to start over. You suck.

Anyway, just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions! I tried a solo game last night using the Doom track variant, and it was really difficult. Just after reading the rules, I realized 1 card = 1 doom counter wasn't going to cut it. I changed it to 2, and decided on 4 xp per level, instead of 5. Even with these changes, I lost spectacularly. I think I'll try some of these suggestions in future solo games. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polychronis Perrakis
Greece
Kalamata
Messinia
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge = Power
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
Or if you wanted more realism, roll a die:

If you "die" the first time, roll a die.

1st Death: 1-8 you are returned to the city somehow. 9-10 you are dead - time to start over.

2nd Death: 1-6 you are returned to the city somehow. 7-10 you are dead - time to start over.

3rd Death: 1-4 you are returned to the city somehow. 5-10 you are dead - time to start over.

4th Death: 1-2 you are returned to the city somehow (you are really lucky this time!!!). 3-10 You are dead - time to start over.

5th Death: 1 you are returned to the city somehow. 2-10 you are dead - time to start over.

6th Death: Time to start over. You suck.

Anyway, just an idea.

I just played the game solo using these rules.. Very interesting solo rules indeed, though I was defeated twice already!! At the first game I was killed by the third knockout, while in the second I was killed by the second!

Most importantly, I managed to learn the game, though I doubt my friends are going to learn it easily and quickly.. Combat rules are more advantageous than in World of Warcraft : the Boardgame that I also own.. The good point though is that there are many similarities in these two games, which makes learning a little bit easier..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klotz
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndianaJohn wrote:
Great suggestions! I tried a solo game last night using the Doom track variant, and it was really difficult. Just after reading the rules, I realized 1 card = 1 doom counter wasn't going to cut it. I changed it to 2, and decided on 4 xp per level, instead of 5. Even with these changes, I lost spectacularly. I think I'll try some of these suggestions in future solo games. Thanks!

This sounds about how my first Doom Track Solo game went last night. It wasn't pretty

I played with the "standard" 3 Cards = Doom Counter, but that basically means every other encounter increased the Doom Counter. It went really quick, and ended disastrously. I even started with 4 Exp per level and I think I dropped it to 3 or even 2 by the last couple Doom Levels just because I didn't feel I was going to be ready. I certainly wasn't. I pulled my first Endgame encounter, failed the test, inflicting 7 Exhaustion on my 3 Stamina character, therefore inflicting 4 wounds. Failed the first defense roll, inflicting 5 wounds and was dead. Up until that point I was having a blast. Kind of sucked it went out like a dud.

I will be factoring in some of these other rules as well, most notably a longer Doom Track Counter. And probably keeping it down at 4 Exp per level. When I feel it's too easy, I can make it harder, but at least I will have fun in the meantime It was only my 2nd game in all, so I plan to have many more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.