Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Flack
United Kingdom
COOKSTOWN
County Tyrone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
INTRODUCTION
Remember back to your childhood to that famous memory game called “Kim’s Game”?
The idea was that a number of different items (cork, paperclip, scissors, pine-cone, comb etc) were placed on a tray and covered with a cloth. The cloth was removed for 30 seconds (or so!) and you had to remember as many of the items as you could. The cloth was then replaced.
One or more of the items were removed and it was up to the players to remember what item was removed and it’s position in relation to the other items upon the tray.
A very basic memory game which cost nothing!!

Now we get to pay for it in it’s’ re-incarnation as Mentalogy. This game is described as “The MIND-EXPANDING Game”.

OBJECTIVE
To move your brain-shaped coloured playing piece along the game board from the starting point to the finish by remembering various cards along the way.

The number of spaces a player moves is determined by the number of correctly remembered items the player makes.

The game has 4 Playing pieces and can be played by a minimum of 2 up to 4 players. It is also suggested that teams of players can compete against each other also.

DETAILS
Skill level/Complexity: Low
Time to learn: Minutes
Luck: Some is required
Strategy/Tactics: None – just remember what you saw!
Duration: 30-45 Minutes

Box Contents:
1 Rule book (1 Side of Small Page)
4 Brain shaped Playing Pieces
Game board with central spinner
Hourglass-styled timer
45 Picture Cards (Green)
45 Small Word Cards (Yellow)
45 Big Word Cards (Blue)
45 Number Cards (Red)
45 Brain Cards

PLAYING THE GAME
The board is setup with the spinner at the centremost point and the player pieces (Brains) at the Start.

The 4 coloured Decks are shuffled separately and 9 cards from each deck placed face-down on their matching coloured spaces at the 4 corners of the board.

Each player rotates the spinner and the player with the highest number goes first. (player 1)

For ease of explanation the game is broken into 4 Rounds.

Round 1
Player 1 starts.
The 9 Green Picture Cards are turned face up and the timer started.
All players try to memorise these cards. When the time is up, the 9 cards are once again turned face down.
Player 1 then spins the spinner and the number it lands at is the number of cards he/she is required to name. The timer is then restarted once more.
The player to the left of Player 1 then points at the green cards Player 1 is required to name.
When the time is up, Player 1 moves the number of spaces along the board equal to the number of cards he/she named correctly.
Play continues clockwise with each player taking a turn with the Green Cards.

Round 2
Player 2 starts.
The 9 Green AND 9 Yellow Cards are turned face up and the timer started.
All players try to memorise all these cards. When the time is up, the 18 cards are once again turned face down.
Player 2 then spins the spinner and the number it lands at is the number of cards he/she is required to name. The timer is then restarted once more.
The player to the left of Player 2 then points at the green and yellow cards Player 2 is required to name.
When the time is up, Player 2 moves the number of spaces along the board equal to the number of cards he/she named correctly.
Play continues clockwise with each player taking a turn with the Green and Yellow Cards.

Round 3
Player 3 Starts.
This time the Green, Yellow and Red cards are turned over and play is the same as in the previous rounds.

Round 4
Player 4 Starts.
This time Green, Yellow, Red and Blue cards are turned over and play is the same as in the previous rounds.

When moving the playing pieces along the board there are a number of spaces which have instructions for example “Brain Power! Move Forward Three” or “Brain Fatigue! Move Back One”. Players mainly follow the relevant instruction.

BRAIN CARDS
There are a number of spaces on the path to the Finish which have the words “BRAIN CARD” on them. If a player lands on this space he/she must take the top card from the Brain Card Deck and do what it says. An example of this would be:

“Name 4 Cards from any in play and move forward 8 spaces” or
“Have a Peek at 3 cards you are unsure of”.
There are many different types of Brain Card – some are to the player’s advantage others cause major upsets!

BRAINSTORMING
If whilst rotating the spinner a player lands on the “Brain Storming Session” space, the timer is started and the player is required to names as many cards as he/she can. That player then moves the same number of spaces forward as correct answers.

CHANGES TO THE RULES
For younger kids (and even some adults), the idea of having to remember even 9 of the cards can be quite daunting, let alone 36 cards by Round 4!
For my kids I made it that each round used a particular colour of card only – this made it a lot easier for them, especially when the previous player had already named a particular card in the set.

This is the sort of game whose rules can be easily customised to suit your own tastes and ideas.

It is also easy to create your own customised Picture and Word Cards at home.
We have already created a set on the PC containing photos of family pets, the kids favourite Barbie Dolls and other personal possessions.

The only thing I do not like about the game is the Triangular shaped box – but hey! that’s a personal thing!

GENERAL COMMENTS
I like this game a lot. My kids like it a lot too and at the end of the day that is important!

Mentalogy does also help improve a person’s memory.

I have read a lot of books by Tony Buzan regarding the development of memory through the use of Mind Maps and various other techniques and the ideas in this game are right up there as a recognised means of improving memory.
I know there are plenty of other games which will also provide the much-needed mental workout but this one just seems to do it in style!

I think it is a great game!

There was something else I meant to say, hmmmm..I guess I just forgot……!!!

Ivan Flack (MIDIManNI)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.