47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion: Guilds» Forums » News

Subject: April Fool's: Guilds full card list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Fool
msg tools
Please don’t ask me how I got this, there’s a reason I’m posting this anonymously.

$2 Merchant
Action
+1 card
+1 action
You may pay $1. If you do, +2 buys.

$2 Stockpile
Action
+1 card
+1 action
___
When you discard this from play, pay up to $3.
+ X coin tokens equal to the amount you paid

$3 Gypsy Camp
Action
+2 actions
+1 coin token

$3 Journeyman
Action
+$2
___
While this is in play, when you buy a card:
You may pay $1. If you do, gain a card costing less than the card you bought that is not a Victory card.
You may pay $1. If you do, put the card you bought on top of your deck.
You may pay $1. If you do, + 1 buy.

$4 Carpenter
Action
+2 coin tokens

$4 Greedy Witch
Action - Attack
+2 cards
You may pay $1.
If you do, each other player gains a curse.
Otherwise, you gain a curse.

$4 Reeve
Action – Reaction
+2 cards
+$1
___
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, +2 coin tokens and you are unaffected by that Attack.

$4 Turnpike
Victory
3 VP
___
When you gain this, you may pay $2.
If you don’t, place this card on top of your deck.

$5 Bribe
Action
You may pay $3.
If you do, +7 cards.

$5 Guild Master
Action – Attack
+3 cards
Name a card. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his decks, discards all the revealed copies of the card you named, and puts the rest of the cards back in any order he chooses.

$5 Peons
Action
+ 3 cards
You may pay $1.
If you do, +1 action

$5 Resale
Action
Trash a card from your hand.
+ X coin tokens equal to its cost.

$5 Wages
Treasure
Worth $1
+1 coin token

How the new mechanics work:
Coin tokens can be gotten from cards that say so. They can be used at any time during your turn for +$1 each.
Pay $X means that you subtract X from your current amount of coins available. You can’t go below 0 with this. If you pay something in the action phase, you need to have gotten +$ before, either from playing action cards or using coin tokens. It doesn’t allow you to play treasure in your action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Guilds full card list
April Fool's Everybody! Nothing to see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
April Fool's Everybody! Nothing to see here.

Isn't the point of an April Fool not to spoil it for others? I mean, what's the harm??

Edit: And who knows, maybe Donald created a fake account to make what looked like an April Fool but is in fact the real card list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are remarkably plausible cards for the most part, so nice job thumbsup "Greedy Witch" and "Turnpike" I can't quite believe as card names, though, and Bribe seems clearly unbalanced at first blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... this seems too real to be fake...

*copied to my GeekMail* (just in case it goes away).

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Hmmm... this seems too real to be fake...

I feel the same way.

Dominion Strategy forums had a April Fool's prank thread also, but it's not terribly elaborate. You just click on the link to their wiki, and see that it hasn't been updated.

Edit: Just realized that the whole idea of tokens violates what Donald said about this expansion. I think it's clearly fake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
Edit: Just realized that the whole idea of tokens violates what Donald said about this expansion. I think it's clearly fake.

Guilds does have coin tokens, but this spoiler is indeed fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think it contradicts what Donald said. For example, for VP tokens, the mats aren't really needed either. I think it's possible they were left out to lower production cost. That also would explain why Donald isn't sure about wether there'll be mats (that implies there is something mats could be used for, but aren't necessary)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Alchemy is that many players feel that games where only one kingdom card requires potions are poor games. Many players feel that there needs to be at least 2 cards dealing with potions to warrant putting them out, so Alchemy (as a an expansion) doesn't "play well" with others.

The Bribe card above looks really fun, but it will be completely useless in games where tokens are unavailable. The only kingdom cards that give tokens are 6 listed above that grant tokens. It's essentially the Alchemy problem, but even worse.

Donald specifically said that you won't need "multiple cards from Guilds in a game". The token concept, as listed here requires multiple cards for them to be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read the explanation below? You could play 3 fishing villages and pay for the groove with the China they provided for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, it's really well thought out.

A couple of notes though - I definitely do not think it is Donald in a costume account, as the last note is not written well enough. Donald wouldn't say "gotten".

The only glaring "really?" item to me is Turnpike, which, as pointed out on the DS forums, is a just cheap or expensive Duchy, depending on how "in the way" it's going to be.

Also the names are suspect.

But honestly, the whole coin mechanic was pretty well thought out, and the cards, while not high on the "wow" factor, are reasonably balanced. Bribe definitely does NOT look broken to me, at all. 7 cards for sacrificing the price of a larger Victory card? Sounds like a 5'er to me.

Either way, kudos to the OP. Good stuff.

EDIT:
On the other hand - Turnpike could be a really good 3rd pile. If the expansion focuses on stocking up coins and using a bunch of buys in 1 turns, a $4 Duchy would be a great pile to drain on your last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done by the OP.

But I can't help thinking of it as a missed opportunity. If I had posted something like, "Since playtesting is over, I've decided not to keep the secret any more...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must also admit, if this was not written on April 1st, I would almost believe what is there was actually true.
Well thought out and definitely worth a further look as the next expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol, I forgot the date and actually thought it was genuine modest (To be fair, it's nearly half eight in the evening here in the UK, so I had stopped looking for April Fools everywhere.)

The cards at first blush didn't seem too unlikely, although less exciting than I was expecting for the final expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Roberto Vasques Jr
Brazil
Ribeirao Preto
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Villages ??
Fake. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gypsy camp is a village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the one problem i see here is actually quite large. the only card that currently exists which allows you to pay for things outside of the Buy phase is Black Market, and it has proven to be a rules nightmare. i doubt they would design an entire expansion around this.
i think it's more likely that the whole "pay more for them" would structured as in the following examples:

When you buy this, if you pay $1 more for it, put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, if you pay $3 more for it, each other player gains a Curse.

When you buy this, if you pay $4 more for it, gain a Duchy.

Wages
Cost=2
Gain a card with cost equal to X, where X equals the number of Coin tokens you have.
------------------------------
When you buy this, if you pay $X more for it, gain X Coin tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
the one problem i see here is actually quite large. the only card that currently exists which allows you to pay for things outside of the Buy phase is Black Market, and it has proven to be a rules nightmare. i doubt they would design an entire expansion around this.
i think it's more likely that the whole "pay more for them" would structured as in the following examples:

When you buy this, if you pay $1 more for it, put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, if you pay $3 more for it, each other player gains a Curse.

When you buy this, if you pay $4 more for it, gain a Duchy.

Wages
Cost=2
Gain a card with cost equal to X, where X equals the number of Coin tokens you have.

While that was my initial thought as well (and I would still bet on it), it could easily be a system as simple as the OP suggests. It is rather elegant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a thought on Turnpike. By itself, it's pretty much Dutchy, maybe slightly better. What if it replaced Dutchy?

$4 Turnpike
Victory
3 VP
___
When you gain this, you may pay $2. If you don’t, place this card on top of your deck.
--
Turnpike replaces Dutchy in setup. Replace the word Dutchy with Turnpike on all other cards this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was me who made that list.
Guild Master and Turnpike are pretty much dead giveaways it's fake sadly.
I really hope the paying mechanic won't be on-buy-effects only, we already have an expansion for that, so I think it would be to boring. With you not being able to play additional treasures for it, i don't see any real rule problems either.
Thx to everyone who liked it, and I hope I came close to the real thing somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think the game flavor text does say they only give you the option of paying more for them, which to me implies that it's on-buy only.

Anyway, well done. While not super exciting cards, you did manage to avoid all the major pitfalls that would scream "FAKE".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark VDW
msg tools
Fake or not, there are some pretty cool ideas in that list :-) .
Would love to see how cards like Journeyman, Merchant, Peons, Guildmaster (in that order) feel in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:

Wages
Cost=2

No Dominion thread is complete without someone pointing out flaws in a card for no reason whatsoever, so I'll be that guy.

This would be a really cool card with a higher base cost. As is I'd always buy two with my starting hands to set them at 3 coins. Play the first one when it shows up to get a third and get to 4 coins, then the fourth one pushes you to 6 coins. The next one you play will put you up to 10 coins and after that you just keep spamming them to run out the Provinces (or buy one more in order to afford the Colonies). This would easily take Chapel's place on the "buy this card to win" throne and become the new top 2-cost card. It would probably lead to the shortest possible games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
... Play the first one when it shows up to get a third and get to 4 coins, ...

That won't work. It has a "when you buy this" effect. Not a "when you gain this" effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, well I guess the point is that by the time you have five Wages, you probably have eight coin tokens. And then you can go and start gaining Provinces left and right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |