Popular Tags: [View All]
Timotheus
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CITIES AND KNIGHTS - Game #2

Once again, 2nd night in a row that my brother and sis-in-law are home all by ourselves so we can play Cities and Knights... I was surprised actually, as it was Rebecca who suggested to play it again. Even though she lost the last one, she did enjoy the game, which was cool.

This game had a slightly different feel, and an ineveitably different result.

This was probably the closest game of Catan I have ever played before.

Setup:

I went first this time around, and was able to secure the very best spot on the board for sure. (The 5 and 9 intersection) Andrew was next, followed by Rebecca. Note: In my prediction, I only got one position right, and got the other two switched around.)

Gameplay:

Even A & R agreed that the dice were very "heavy" on the side of the '8' this time around. (especially in the early-game)We rolled so many consecutive '8's that I was thoroughly disgusted. As you can guess, I didn't have any settlements on an '8', but BOTH A & R did. In fact the got a commodity everytime it was rolled. So, when it gets rolled for the fourth consecutive time, you are really able to build some serious city improvements. (I, suc... , er, was really, really, bad at getting them again) My '5's and '9's took a serious hit. I know... blaming the dice is poor gaming etiquette, but I just can't help myself here...

So, needless to say, I didn't get any of those really cool progress cards til' the game was nearly over. (when I made a nice little breakthrough in terms of improvements.)

It was only a few turns it seems before both Andrew and Rebecca had the special benefits of the city improvement that they were working on.

Just like last game, A & R both fought it out with the Knights. I once again, was in no position to challenge their dominance in this area. Rebecca had a huge upperhand for most all of the game, and collected 4 VPs by being the protector of catan. She also got one VP from a progress card.

I only built one knight the entire game, but he did his job as it cut Andrew off from the only spot on the board that I could actually build towards, and hope for any chance of at victory (or at least a chance for a non-embarassing score)

My weak spot was wheat and sheep, (and later brick, as Andrew switched token markers on me )

Rebecca's weakness was her wood and brick, and Andrew's issue was brick and wheat (until the mid-game on).

My colony was so pitiful for most all of this game, but at least I can say that they didn't show any mercy! lol (Well, maybe a tiny bit, but nothing too significant)

My Approach: This approach was not about choice; It was about the only way I could do anything. Thanks to the starting positions of all the cities, and some early road-building by Andrew, I was basically hemmed in on every side - cept' one. I was able to secure that spot after a few tense rounds by placing a knight on the spot. But I wasn't able to use that spot until about 60% through the game. The spot was intersecting a great forest of 3 hexes, and had a wood port a short ways off. Once I was able to connect to that port (way too late by then), my kingdom really revived. It was the only path I could take, and because I had a shortage of... well, everything for most of the game, progress was way to slow. The good thing was, that I wasn't expecting to win from the first quarter mark onward.

Rebecca barely stayed ahead of Andrew for 90% of the game, but Andrew, through a few shrewd moves on his part, tied the game up at 12. He had the longest road. He had the same amount of roads as Rebecca at one time, but Rebecca wasn't able to pass him.

The last round:

The stage that is set

(THE BARBARIAN SHIP IS 2 ROLLS AWAY FROM LANDING)

Andrew has 2 medium knights on the board and they are both Active.
Rebeccas has 1 strong knight, 1 medium knight, and 1 light knight. (ALL Inactive.

Rebecca has only one card in her hand.
Andrew has quite a few cards in his hand.
In doesn't matter how many cards I have in my hand.

I did my turn, in which I think I was able to either build another settlement by the ocean or build the only remaining metro left. By the way, my favourite city improvement benefit is the Yellow one. 2:1 trading ... got to love it.

Andrew rolls, and gets a 7 and moves the robber. The Barbarian ship moves one space away from the port. Andrew moves the robber to a place dominated by both me and Rebecca, and picks Rebeccas's only remaining card.

Rebecca rolls, and the ship doesn't move. But, after a hard look at her progress cards, reluctantly gives me the dice. The card she HAD in her hand that Andrew took was a wheat! She couldn't activate any of her knights, and with that...

I roll, and the ship lands and Andrew gets the VP for the win!

Final Score:

Me: 10 (I was surprised I got so many)

Rebecca: 12

Andrew: 13

Good Game all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Timothius wrote:
By the way, my favourite city improvement benefit is the Yellow one. 2:1 trading ... got to love it.

Great session reports! I'm a fan of C & K as well.

I just noticed this in your session report, however, and had to ask: you do play that you can only trade commodities at 2:1 once you receive the third yellow city improvement, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phipps
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your session reports. Great amount of detail. I was going to ask about your 2:1 comment as well, but Frank beat me to it. My personal favorite city improvement is the green or paper one....Get the resource card of your choice if you had no production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
It's funny that you point this out. Our group had been playing that any RESOURCE could be traded at 2:1 until somebody said, "Hey! It says 'commodities!'"

After that... our favorite was green. More resources = better chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timotheus
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hehehe... It makes for a more interesting game for sure. laugh

I've played the game at least 5 times and that's what we've done every time. Well, I can at least blame someone else for teaching me wrong... lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.