Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ok, I'm sure it's been asked before but I'll ask again. I saw the
new edition was in stock Monday at my local hobby store.

Is it worth it? Not enough comments in the BGG entry to make an assessment. The new characters/abilities look interesting but
is the game balance wrecked. I own the original and don't want
to spend the money if I'm not going to get some extra gaming
satisfaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
It seems that most of the evaluation on whether it's worth the money of a new game is whether you enjoy the smaller, more compact box of the first game, or if you prefer a larger board, with larger pieces.

Copyright issues aside, it is trivial, but unsightly, to use the new characters and cards with the old game. As a compromise to FFG, I would pay some sort of extra fee to use the new characters with my old game, but I know it won't be cost effective. (Perhaps pay $5 to download a PDF with nice artwork??)

Personally, I enjoy the orginal Confrontation, but cannot see myself getting another $25-30 of worth for a new board / pieces, primarily because my SO doesn't also enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also interested in it but I find the price point $45 CDN to be a bit steep. I am now looking for the original.

ROD>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will arive tomorrow...and I'll be playing it on Saturday (I hope)

Read through the rule booklet
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/confdeluxerules.pdf

it looks like so much fun....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that answer will differ by taste. More fans of the original say it already favors dark. I think adding more character options will (as it does in CCGs) create more opportunities to find a greater imbalance that breaks the game. With such knowledge it will then be up to the players to decide how they want to play the game. For myself, I just want to enjoy the journey.

For those who haven't yet see:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/lotr_deluxeconfrontation_g... for links to the forum and characters. I suggest reading the new characters in the rules and if that doesn't get the LOTR fanboy in you excited you have your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
I think that answer will differ by taste.

I'd agree with this. I think the new version will appeal to those that like the meta game of deck construction in CCGs for example. Being able to mix and match your characters and trying to find that perfect combination is probably one of the reasons FFG created this new version. If that type of thing appeals to you then I'm sure the new version would be well worth picking up. However, if you already enjoy the old version just the way it is (a simple quick 2-player game with lots of tough choices) then I don't think the new version will add much to the game that you don't already get out of it. I wouldn't find putting together a group of characters all that appealing since it would add time to the game and it's short playing time is one of the things that appeals to me.

It also depends on who you would typically play with. If you play with the same person over and over then the new version might make sense. Both players could adjust there forces in between games. Again, it's the meta game aspect. However if you would typically play the game with a bunch of different people, especially new players, then you'd usually just end up playing with the base set of character anyway so you might as well stick with the old copy.

The last thing is that the new look of the game doesn't appeal to me either. Bigger box, bigger pieces, bigger board. I'll keep the smaller version thanks you very much. It fits nicely on my shelf next to my other two player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the variant version with all the new characters last night, once on each side. All I can say is that it is SO worth it! The extra characters to be thrown in the mix make this a game that would be hard to ever tire of. So many new strategies...sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Yeah, I have no idea why they thought bigger is better.
There aren't that many zones on the board. If they changed the
zone capacity to more pieces I could see the need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Hmm, that sounds inticing. I just fear that one combination will be so overwhelming that it will ruin any other of the opponent's character combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennG wrote:

Hmm, that sounds inticing. I just fear that one combination will be so overwhelming that it will ruin any other of the opponent's character combinations.

I don't know....there always seems to be a way out. Plus you can probably balance it out with some house rules if you find some balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet wrote:
GlennG wrote:

I don't know....there always seems to be a way out. Plus you can probably balance it out with some house rules if you find some balance issues.

Yes. I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't a balanced game in there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennG wrote:
Is it worth it?

For me, no. I have the original and i do not want to spend $40+ for a variant (some modified characters + a couple of new cards).

And so far no one knows if the new characters unbalance the game. FFG is not famous for their finely balanced games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
GeoMan wrote:
GlennG wrote:
Is it worth it?

For me, no. I have the original and i do not want to spend $40+ for a variant (some modified characters + a couple of new cards).

And so far no one knows if the new characters unbalance the game. FFG is not famous for their finely balanced games.

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you mix and match characters from the original game if the size of the pieces is different between the 2 sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
How can you mix and match characters from the original game if the size of the pieces is different between the 2 sets?

The deluxe edition comes with both the original and the variant in one.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RodF wrote:
I am also interested in it but I find the price point $45 CDN to be a bit steep...

That does seem a little steep... Affinity's here in Regina has it priced at $34.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

$35? That's a great price. Probably worth for that. It's $45 here. I think I'll hold off. Thanks for all the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennG wrote:

$35? That's a great price. Probably worth for that. It's $45 here. I think I'll hold off. Thanks for all the input.

I agree. I would play $10 more for the extras.

ROD>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The U.S. online retailers have it for $27 U.S.

I got my copy on Tuesday and haven't played it yet.

Observations:

The art is FABULOUS and an improvement - especially on the cards. They are really nice. There are some new variant cards as well as characters. The bigger board is nice... the art is bigger and more evocative of the theme (you can see the villages etc. better).

There are TWO copies of the "player aid". It is larger than in the original. One side is for the regular characters, the other is for the variant. In this game the player aid is necessary and having two copies is good. The original had only one.

I like the idea of having the OPTION of using the variant characters - it will give the game an extended life.

One disappointment is that the text on the new, larger stands looks no bigger than in the original... they used the space to make the art bigger. That's nice, but it in my view I would have preferred larger text.

I prefer the smaller box... but I like the bigger, better and more various components.

For me, a (potential, unproven) balance problem when introducing the new characters in different combinations isn't a big deal. In fact, it will give us the ability to tinker with the game a bit and come up with favorite combos... or even to unbalance the game a bit with unequal players (parents and children? newbies and experienced players?). Sounds like fun to me.

To each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.