Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started sticking the labels on the blocks this evening. And thought, "Why stick `em on both sides?" OK, you`re MEANT to, but actually, placing the blocks flat instead of standing up may just look better IMHO, though I havn`t actually PLAYED the game yet.

So, I`ve stuck labels on ONE side only. This has taken me a mere 2 hours nearly surprise and left me with a whole load of labels with which I can:

1: leave in the box.

2: stick on when I`ve another 2 hours to spare.

3: STICK ON TO ANOTHER LOAD OF BLOCKS?? Hence doubling my stock?

I realise this may be too late for many of you who have leapt into double-sided stickiness, but at least you`ve done it "properly".

Maybe it`ll look terrible, my first game with lying-down pieces nstead of pure-bred standy-up pieces. I`ll let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
You are corrext on one point but by playing with the tiles flat, you will miss the cool (propably) visual of the elephants towering over the line troops.

Moreover, GMT sells more blocks and stickers seperately if you want more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This approach gives the opportunity to include the "fog of way" element of other block games. Your opponent can see position, number and possibly type but not identity of a unit until it is engaged. At that point the blocks are tipped forward. When I first saw that blocks were to be used instead of minis for C&C:A I thought this was the intention, but obviously not. What do others think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios are of historical battles and the deployment of troops is predetermined (if it is like Battlecry and Memoir '44). So no need for the fog of war aspect. After all, the distance between the armies during ancient times was not so big that you couldn't see the enemy troop types.

my $0.05

Leave the talking, play the game, write reports for us that don't have it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog of war? Just look across the field and you see the Heavy Infantry!

I find it convienent to lay a block flat when I move an "ordered" unit so I have a visual reminder of which units have moved...

I thought that using blocks was a good idea and I find that I really do like them better than a bunch of plastic figures. They are easier to manipulate, more colorful and work really well.

Blocks are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it was an ambush of some sort (rare), I can't see much use to the idea of "fog of war" in this game. Ancient generals pretty much knew what was in front of them in ancient set piece battles. I only stuck the stickers on one side and lay them flat on the map. Works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 3 games Saturday in the harsh backroom lighting of a cool local game store in Old Louisville. We found we could see to play the game better with the blocks laying flat and we liked the look. (But Richard and I are a couple old chit pushers anyway.)

We did stand up one block to indicate an ordered unit and laid it back down when it had completed its attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered stickering only one side so that I could have double the units if I purchased another set of blocks. But I figured if I was going to order more blocks, I could just order another set of stickers, and then have double the stock anyway for just a few bucks more.

As mentioned, the blocks are much easier to move around than miniatures (compare this game with M'44), although each type has other pros and cons, which don't really matter.
I enjoy this game with the tiles, and although I plan to get miniatures as well, I'll keep the tiles because they're great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnny5 Is Alive
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, you'll never be able to close the box! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnny5 wrote:
Justin, you'll never be able to close the box! laugh

Haha, yeah, so? Nothing a bungee cord can't fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
We found we could see to play the game better with the blocks laying flat and we liked the look. (But Richard and I are a couple old chit pushers anyway.)

that's the reason why i didn't use the blocks at all - we use 1:72 minis for gaming, & i put the labels on cardstock for a travel edition! like in the glorious old days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like having the "option" of standing blocks up or playing with them flat-- depends on how good the lighting in the room is.

Even if I played "flat" all the time, I might go for double side-- ultimately it will speed set-up and take down. Time is a valuable thing, especially with a game you where might get to play 2 or 4 scenarios in an evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group prefers to play "flat", you can carefully control how you apply the second set of stickers to the reverse sides of your troop blocks so that they follow the same principle of display as your terrain tiles: having one side in play necessarily takes the reverse side out of play for the scenario.

I suppose elephants will always be elephants, but you can have extra leaders at the cost of chariots-- or vice versa, for example. Or mix up the composition of your heavy, medium, and warrior troops. Also your auxillia, bows/slingers, and lights. The various grades of cavalry could be handled the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.