Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the rules state that a plane has 3 movement factors (including a possible retreat), it does not specify nor provide examples of plane movement over the sea. If I were to fly from Brest (or Paris or Rotterdam) over the English Channel to attack London (the Battle of Britain), how many movement points would that cost me? Also, how many would it be including the return trip?

Is movement point number 1 the English Channel, or is it London?
If movement point number 1 is the English Channel, then movement point number 2 would be London, and 3 would be the English Channel again ... and I would be done for! Hmmm ... not too promising!

However, if the initial sea space (in which the land is located) does not count, then London would be movement point number 1, and back to Brest (or Paris or Rotterdam) would be movement point number 2. This would appear to make more sense, otherwise there would be no Battle of Britain and no Normandy invasion. As always, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sea zones do take a movement point. So planes can never move two spaces and then return to where they launched from.

Airplanes couldn't go to London by themselves anyway since you need an infantry or tank present to attack a land territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct on both accounts.

1. You need infanftry and/or tanks to attack land areas
2. The channel counts as the first step so the plane won't make it back.

Planes die easily, but there ability to reinforce make it worth the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on a minute!

I thought you only needed infantry or tanks to HOLD / GAIN CONTROL OF a land region.

Are you saying I can't attack with planes first to weaken a territory (or artillery for that matter)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
Hold on a minute!

I thought you only needed infantry or tanks to HOLD / GAIN CONTROL OF a land region.

Are you saying I can't attack with planes first to weaken a territory (or artillery for that matter)?

That is exactly what I'm saying. Mosse, whom have written most of the Session reports for this game, made the same misstake in his early sessions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/71133

Of course, If you wan't the planes to be able to make raids, then there´s nothing that stops you from making some house rules of your own. I've heard rumours of some house rules for off shore bombardment etc. but I've never tried them my self.

Personally, I think that is good idea to learn the rules properly and playing the game several times before making any changes to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is from Jonas Jepson, the game designer. He states that a land area cannot be attacked without infantry or armor. I think this may have been ommitted in the rulebook, as this appears to be a response to this question. World in War is a very good game, and I am enjoying playing it.

Jonas Jepson
(Jepson)

Mosse, you can not attack an area at land without tanks or infantry, therefore "airbombing" is not possible. If you correct this little error you will see that the germans will be much easier to win with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bozooka Betty describes it on page 4 in the Comic book tutorial. It's on the same page as the description about how to use transports.

It's on page 4 in the (Swedish) rule book as well, section 6.1 Movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sardukar, you are correct. It does state that in Bazooka Betty. It also covers it in 6.1 Movement of the English rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's much easier to find and understand the rules when they are described by Bazooka Betty. I think that it's because of her soothing voice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.