Subject: The session report black hole rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the success of the geekmod for images I think it's time to consider it for session reports. As it stands session reports can be approved in batches of seemingly 100 at a time. This results in many session reports never even appearing on the front page and being dumped straight into the session report black hole never to be seen again. This is frustrating if you put a lot of time and energy into a session report as I recently did for a couple.

I don't claim that the following are the best session reports ever, or even that they are well written, just that I tried to make a point in each one that I thought some might find interesting or valuable. Because they were both dumped in the session report black hole I'm going to make myself feel better and keep myself from getting discouraged in submitting session reports by linking to them here where they'll get some visibility.

I hope in the future that session reports can be geekmoded like images so that they come in shortly after they are submitted and they have a fair shot of being read by at least a couple of people. I guess that's the point of this rant, not to spam the forum looking for attention for my session reports, but to request that they be approved on a more regular basis.

This is a session report on Railroad Tycoon in which the NY to KC Major Route card did not secure victory:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/768259

This is a session report on Odin's Ravens in which we tested out a variant to reduce the excesive track extending that sometimes goes on.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/609689

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree entirely. I had 5 session reports accepted last night, and the front page was covered in an avalanche from the East Tennessee Gamers. Even worse, I already read those session reports on spielfrieks! My reports included several I quite liked:

Once Upon a Time: The Thief and the Bird
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/763736#763736

Miscellaneous Game Accessory: Benedictine
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/766204#766204

as well as several others that were more pedestrian. I recommend that everybody go to my profile and just read everything:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=thread&art...

Then you won't miss out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I agree and second, third the motion, lots of effort and then whoosh, it disappeared. I was considering posting a thread in the game forum mentioning this as well and asking anyone interested to have a gander but then I wasn't sure it was appropriate. I was looking forward to comments about it like others I have done as I also made some interesting points. Well now that I have mentioned it here.....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95094

Its a 2 player session report on Settlers of Catan, we had a great game but we didn't use the usual variants, check it out. 3 views so far,

damn the black hole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add in reviews as well!

"We played this new game the other day. It was great. It wasnt like those other games because this one really reqires strategy."

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
GeekMod will be expanded to sessions and reviews.

BTW, is making the front page that critical? Sure it will get you some more eyeballs, but people researching games will still see your content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
BTW, is making the front page that critical?

Yes, I think so. Some session reports spawn discussions (you played that rule wrong) and as an author I am looking for feedback. If these things happen in a year, they might as well not happen at all. Getting onto the front page gives you a chance to be seen by a lot of people, maybe 30 views which you otherwise don't get. If it's a great session report, that's enough views to make it known. My session report on Benedictine was viewed by 2 people - ValJor and me - and he gave me a for it.

BTW, I am not sure whether session reports and reviews are advised of when you subscribe to new content for a game. That's certainly another way to get their existence advertised more widely.

I'd love to see GeekMod for session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
But when you consider how customizable the front page is, how do know what actually appears on it? For example, I have reviews and sessions set to show only one game. When I see it change I know that a new batch is in and then I go and browse the recents.

The times they are a changin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Aldie on this one. The amount of content added each day is soo large that a lot of info will not stay on the frontpage long enough to generate a discussion. If that's what you want to trigger, you might consider putting a link in the forums as well. Due to the 'New posts' possibility, it will be seen by more people.

I have written quite some reviews and session reports and some of them never gotten any replies. Other have gotten replies days after they have been posted.

People will find them sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The intent of GeekMod was always to be expanded to session reports and reviews and such. The goal of GeekMod was an experiment to see if you the users could provide better/faster approval for content that us the few admins. Aldie and I are just a bit cautious about unleashing GeekMod on the whole site overnight without a bit of testing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the system is extended I suspect less Session Reports will be approved (Just a gut feeling, I don't know if its true of photos).

Meanwhile, you can always comment on your Session Report, moving it to the front page of 'Active'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Musti wrote:
The amount of content added each day is soo large that a lot of info will not stay on the frontpage long enough to generate a discussion. If that's what you want to trigger, you might consider putting a link in the forums as well.

I mildly disagree with your statement that info doesn't stay on the front page long enough - with the Hot views, it only needs to attract a little bit of attention and it can hang around for a while. However I very much disagree with the suggestion that you add a link in the forums, as this is only generating more content to draw attention to the content which is swamped! I have seen people do this, and works *for now*, but eventually it will just become noise. After all, great writers like TomVasel don't need to draw attention to their work; so only lesser lights need do it. "HeY d00dZ, ch3c|< 0u7 my 535510N R3p0R7!"

GeekMod is obviously the way to go (given that we have started down that path), but in any case something needs to be done, as those of us who treat Session Reporting as an art are beginning to feel unloved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Yes I believe it is. With the excellent job you've done setting up the front page I rarely dig deeper anymore. I suspect most people are the same way. If an article doesn't appear on the front page it has little chance of reaching the critical mass of eyeballs needed to get the positive feedback loop of discussion and recommendations started (if it warrants the feedback that is).

How many people would have been researching Shocking Roulette and found chaddyboy's article? Luckily for him it appeared on the front page near the top.

btw, it's my opinion that the overall quality of pics now being accepted is higher since geekmod went into place. There are exceptions here and there but finally some pics are getting rejected. I suspect session reports would see a similar result, gone will be the 1 paragraphers with no analysis.

I'm a little bit leary of using geekmod on reviews though. Seems like people could reject a perfectly fine review because they disagree with it's conclusion. What if I wrote a scathing review of Caylus? No matter how excellent would it make it past the rabid geekmoders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Yes I believe it is. With the excellent job you've done setting up the front page I rarely dig deeper anymore. I suspect most people are the same way. If an article doesn't appear on the front page it has little chance of reaching the critical mass of eyeballs needed to get the positive feedback loop of discussion and recommendations started (if it warrants the feedback that is).

How many people would have been researching Shocking Roulette and found chaddyboy's article? Luckily for him it appeared on the front page near the top.

btw, it's my opinion that the overall quality of pics now being accepted is higher since geekmod went into place. There are exceptions here and there but finally some pics are getting rejected. I suspect session reports would see a similar result, gone will be the 1 paragraphers with no analysis.

I'm a little bit leary of using geekmod on reviews though. Seems like people could reject a perfectly fine review because they disagree with it's conclusion. What if I wrote a scathing review of Caylus? No matter how excellent would it make it past the rabid geekmoders?

I agree with all the points made here. Although an article will get some views over time, it won't be anywhere near the number that it would have been if it hit the front page, and you don't get an immediate response either thus you'll lose interest in the whole thing. Also, Shocking Roulette was a perfect example, I would have never knew what it was had I not seen it on the front page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

BTW, is making the front page that critical? Sure it will get you some more eyeballs, but people researching games will still see your content.

I don't really care about making the front page so much, but some of the games I review are more obscure, and making the front page is the only way to get them exposure. I'm always interested in getting the word out on games from independent publishers, and most people won't research them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe something can be determined from the secret approval recipe to determine whether an item should make it to the front page?

e.g. How many vote to approve and recommend (then add in a dash of 2 out of 3 coin tosses )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Maybe something can be determined from the secret approval recipe to determine whether an item should make it to the front page?

e.g. How many vote to approve and recommend (then add in a dash of 2 out of 3 coin tosses )

Session reports trickle in at a MUCH slower rate than pictures. I think that session reports approved (or rejected) as they come in would allow sufficient time for each one on the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally submitted my first session report. It was from a 2004 write-up I did for my game group. Sadly it did not make the first page. soblue

I like many of the suggestions here thus far. Adding them to the GeekMod pool will be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
I finally submitted my first session report. It was from a 2004 write-up I did for my game group. Sadly it did not make the first page. soblue

Damn that sucks, bad timing I think, I don't remember seeing this complaint before so don't get discouraged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
but people researching games will still see your content.

How about restoring the Browse Session by Group functionality also? Right now that is also a SR black hole as I used to provide the old link to folk curious about the games I play and it was a handy link. Of course, my current fall back is to just provide the "session reports by Author" link from my profile - but the other link was nice advertsing for our (modest) group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Not to me. I only have geek lists and forums on my front page anyway. But I can see why others would want it to show up for those few who include session reports and reviews on their customized front page.

Speaking of which, I wonder how many people include each type of "module" in their front pages. That would be an interesting statistic.

Back on topic, I think that when session reports make it to GeekMod, not only do we need the full 24 hour waiting period that's vital for images, but we also need to make sure people understand that quickie comments are OK as session reports. They don't all have to be long play-by-plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Randy!

You wrote:
we also need to make sure people understand that quickie comments are OK as session reports. They don't all have to be long play-by-plays.

We must set minimum length for session reports! Stupid things like "We played Settlers last night; Bob won" must not be accepted as session reports...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Back on topic, I think that when session reports make it to GeekMod, not only do we need the full 24 hour waiting period that's vital for images, but we also need to make sure people understand that quickie comments are OK as session reports. They don't all have to be long play-by-plays.

I think the "quickie comments" really walk a fine line for session reports. If they at least touch on strategy used, a small analysis, something or anything of interest, I mean short is great with value added but if it doesn't add a STITCH of value then I really question why it was submitted. Everyone has their own definition of value I know but lets be real here. Some of these would be better off being entered as forum threads rather than cluttering up the database for the game page. Which brings me to the next point:

Evil Timmy wrote:
“Maybe something can be determined from the secret approval recipe to determine whether an item should make it to the front page?”

I was thinking about this thread after and about the GeekMod being used which does seem good for users and Admin alike. I would like to see SR's get approved the same way as pics and I do think there should be a box to check on whether or not it is "good" enough to make the front page. This will promote better quality reports and help ensure that people who really put some effort in their report hopefully get in on the frontpage over the ones that are hardly worth reading.

With more and more users signing up and submitting material, I think this would be a helpful tool to have to keep the frontpage full of interesting and helpful information. JJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.