2 Posts

Axis & Allies: Europe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: the first step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morray Arstfunch
Belgium
flag msg tools
This is a great game with some minor flaws. I like the addition of the artillery and destroyers and they proved to be a good idea for the later axis and allies games. The one flaw that i seen was that whatever you put on russian soil, became russian. I did not like this rule at all because all russia needs to do is build infantry and us and uk could just build bombers and fighters and fly them to russia. Before i knew it, I had this russian force at my doorstep consisting of a horde of infantry with a good deal of air and bomber support. The next game I play will be without that rule so maybe, as I read in rawdawg's reveiw, it will be more balanced.
Overall, I thought it was a great game with a nice board and good starting placement of units. I like what they did with the middle east as apposed to it being neutral as in the earlier Axis and Allies.
From my experience of playing it, I would definitly reccomend this game or any other axis and allies game for someone who likes a good game that can take a while.
Here is the rundown: It is Germany v.s. United States, United Kingdom and Russia. The German objective is to capture russia and the allied objective is to take germany. The gameplay is exactly like all the other Axis and Allies games, But this one is a little more difficult for Germany due to the overwhelming allied force. One thing that is different is the middle east. At the beginning of each round, before germany's turn begins, the allies get 8 ipc's(dollars) to split up amongst eachother in any way they wish. The middle eas countries have an ipc value and if germany takes a territory, they receive that much from the allies. For instants, Germany captures Egypt, worth 1 ipc, and Trans jordan, worth 2 ipc's for a combined 3 ipc's. At the beggining of the next round, the allies still receive there 8 icp's, but one or more nations must submit that 3 ipc's to the germans.
I also like the addition to the allied convoys. It brings a little realism to the game because convoys were struck all over the atlantic by german u-boats.
You should definitly give this game a try, it is fun yet difficult, all in all, a good challenge. This is coming to you from a big time wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It might not be a major change in a game where the allies use the described strategy but in the second edition of the rules Soviet can only change allied units in territories where they have industrial complexes (Leningrad, Stalingrad, Archangel, and Moscow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.