BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The Best Civil War and WW2 Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've just come across this board and have been drawn in to its web of lies and deceit..umm, sort of...either way, I am just curious to know what is the general opinion on what is the best United States Civil War game and World War 2 Game available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask that question to 20 different people and you will get 20 different answers. I'm a big Civil War buff and a wargamer. I could tell you what games I like but what I like in a game and what you like will likely be two different things.

My suggestion is go into the advanced game search and look up American Civil War games with at least 5 user ratings and a ratings range of 6-10. You should end up with a nice long list of games sorted by ratings (Do the same with WW II) with "This Terrible Sound" on top. Just start going down the list and looking up what sounds good to you.

On that list you'll find everything from heavy simulations to lighter games. Pay attention to things like number of ratings and ave weight. Battle Cry for example is a popular game with 1218 people rating it. However it's almost at a 2 for weight so if you are looking for a realistic simulation that might not be a game for you. Look up people's comments on the games as well. You can learn a lot about a game by looking to see why people like it and why they don't.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Ask that question to 20 different people and you will get 20 different answers.

Come on Brian, you should know better!! Around here if you ask 20 different people you might end up with 40 different answers!

But seriously, you need to refine your criteria a bit or the recommendations you get are going to do nothing for you. "Best" means different things to different people. Are you looking for a light game, a heavy game, a monster, operational, tactical, strategic etc etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Civil War and WW2 "lite" games are by the same designer and have the same system: Avalon Hills Battle Cry - http://boardgamegeek.com/game/551 - (OOP unfortunately but still reasonable on ebay) and Memoir 44 - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630 - from Days of Wonder. These are both by Richard Berg.

I am such a fan of these games that I pre-purchased and just received Richard Berg's Command and Colors: Ancients - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14105 - from GMT Games. This too uses the same system.

For a little more "depth" for WW2, I thoroughly enjoy the miniatures game Flames of War by Battlefront - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11168.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Borg is the designer of those games, methinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a huge difference in the games designed by Richard Berg and Richard Borg. Richard Bord is the designer of Memoir '44 and Battle Cry.
Either of those would be good introductory tactical level wargames. If you've played wargames before though, you might find those games unsatisfying though.

Axis and Allies is a good strategic level light wargame on World War II. Get the 2004 version, it plays better than the older versions from the '80s. A House Divided is often recommended as a light strategic simulation of the Civil War. Phalanx games recently update A House Divided and their games have excellent production values. Axis and Allies miniatures is a good introductory tactical wargame on WWII but it is a collectable game, so can be expensive to get the figures you might want.

If you're into medium weight or heavier wargames, there are hundreds to choose from. You can pick from heavy strategic card-driven wargames (For The People would be great for the American Civil War, Barbarossa To Berlin for WWII). There are many monster games covering the strategic level of both wars(Totaller Krieg by Decision Games for WWII or The Civil War from Victory Games). When you get to lower levels (operational or tactical) there are so many games it's difficult to come up with even a top 10 in each category.

Let us know what you've played before and what aspect of the wars you are gaming and we can make some recommendations for you.

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United States
California
flag msg tools
Kenfeldman wrote:
If you're into medium weight or heavier wargames, there are hundreds to choose from. You can pick from heavy strategic card-driven wargames (For The People would be great for the American Civil War, Barbarossa To Berlin for WWII). There are many monster games covering the strategic level of both wars(Totaller Krieg by Decision Games for WWII or The Civil War from Victory Games). When you get to lower levels (operational or tactical) there are so many games it's difficult to come up with even a top 10 in each category.

Let us know what you've played before and what aspect of the wars you are gaming and we can make some recommendations for you.

Ken

Thanks for the response. Ken, I am definately looking for a medium/heavy weight Civil War game. Though I don't have much experience, me and my brother are both willing to set aside some time to learn and play these games. For the People and The Civil War(from Victory Games) both sound very intriguing. I wondering which provides the greater tactical/strategy challenges...which is a better simulation. Which would you prefer, For the People or The Civil War...which would most people here prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Blue v. Gray, from GMT games. An underappreciated game, I believe because a lot of people don't want to break out of preconceived notions of what the game should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between For The People and The Civil War, I prefer For The People. I think it's more playable because it's one map, and after the first few turns when you're learning the rules, plays quickly. If the war goes the distance, it will probably take about 10 hours to play at most. It's a card-driven strategy game that provides alot of historical theme to the game. The game uses "strategic will" as the measure of sucess and players accumulate or lose strategic will by winning or losing battles, replacing politically connected (think McClellan and Fremont) leaders with militarily competent ones, and controlling States. In addition, there are a lot of players who play this one in online tournaments using cyberboard and ACTS.

It's been a long time since I played the Civil War, but I remember it had several maps and lots of counters. It's a traditional hex and counter game, so if that's what you're looking for it would be a good fit. I think playing time for the whole war was 15 hours or so. I remember enjoying it in the '80s and it was one of the few games from that time period that I kept through the years, but I ended up selling it after playing For The People.

I personally didn't care for Blue vs. Gray. While there is a lot of history in the cards, I didn't feel it really modelled the Civil War very well. You don't get an appreciation for the naval aspect of the war, which was a key part of the Union strategy. There's no set time per term, and your armies aren't physically present on the map, they just kind of float in the theater. It's very abstract and most of the focus in accumulating cards representing divisions or corps under your leader card and then rolling a die in battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.