Subject: How well do the players have to know the setting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking the look and the feel of this game. I could even persuade our strategi-tactical gaming group to try this out, if the 90min lenght is accurate. The problem is that especially with new games our group is very lazy with fluff. We have played so much that we always approach games from "if it is any good we'll read the background later".

My question is if you can start playing with only the info you have about your character(s) or do you need to know a lot about the locations and the setting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is really a case of the story not being the important thing, it is the ONLY thing.

This is one of the ultimate story telling games. It is a very light game framework as a means of hanging a story on.

I am not sure that you and your gaming group will find it a satisfying experience if you are not so keen on the storytelling aspect of the game.

Here's my advice:

Use all of the modules.

Tell your group that they are in for a very different, right brain experience. Tell them the game is based heavily on role playing elements and that it is also a team playing game and that you are relying on their great gift of creativity for a magnificent shared experience.

Pick an arbiter who will be able to keep the story going well and the people in line.

When you start, dim the lights. Get someone with a dramatic voice to read out the introduction

"Following the victory in the Conflict of Autumn, The Regime of Winter has clutched the Land of Fairy Tales in its cold grasp. Fuelled by hate and fear, Winter aims at extinguishing the flame of Love and the light of Hope under a blanket of snow and the never-ending chill of a winter night. In the winding alleys and the small houses desperately clinging to the hillside of Wintertown, frightened Tales move in the shadows, knowing they cannot allow all Hope for the future to be snuffed out by the cold and ready to fight to drive Winter away and let Spring come again."

Then hand them their characters, and a slip of paper with their character story on it. They can then share as much of their history as they want to without having to read everything. Download the player aid someone posted here - we found it invaluable in our teaching games.

The story is what makes it great.

If you don't think the above will help, play King of Tokyo instead - this simply might not be the game for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.