Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

First game of this the other night. Nice game but some confusion over festivals.

At the start, a card is placed face up next to the draw deck and forms the currency for bidding for the festival. What happens once that festival is resolved? Is another card turned face up, or does the last card played in the auction become the new festival card?

If the latter, it would seem that the currency for the festival auctions may not change much.

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It stays.

It changes more than you think. Example: if I'm holding four cards with drums and/or dolls, and the face-up card is a mask, I'll want to take that card to make my hand more valuable.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What happens once that festival is resolved? Is another card turned face up, or does the last card played in the auction become the new festival card?

The face-up card only changes when a player draws it by using one of one his/her 6 action points. Thus a new face-up card is revealed.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When players draw cards, they may chose from the deck or the discard pile.

After a festival is held, ALL cards (from all players) that were used in competing for the festival are returned to the deck into the discard pile. I usually shuffle them to ensure the top card is random.

Alot of people claim that the festivals are fluff and unnecessary. I'm one of those that find it useful and an integral part of the game. It adds another layer of strategy, another point resource to allow players to 'catch up' if they are behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. They make the game.
The festival cards are the only hidden info in the game.
Otherwise it would be as dull as TIKAL.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koert Debyser
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kimball Bent wrote:
When players draw cards, they may chose from the deck or the discard pile.

After a festival is held, ALL cards (from all players) that were used in competing for the festival are returned to the deck into the discard pile. I usually shuffle them to ensure the top card is random.

This is not correct.

You have the deck, one open card and the discard pile.

During the game, you can only select either that one open card or the top card from the deck. You can't select the top card from the discard pile! The discard pile is just a pile of cards that are out of the game.

After a festival, the used cards go to the discard pile, but the open card remains the one from before the festival and only changes when someone selects this card as one of his/her actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All
This is much clearer and makes a lot of sense, and is actually what the rules say - we'd been misplaying it.
Thanks muchly to all! kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.