arz man
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I want to warn all fellow Geeks of what could happen to you if you deal with this online seller:

Mid November last year I bought "Lock n Load: Forgoteen Heroes Vietnam" from "strategypage.com", paid my 40 bucks by Paypal and had it delivered to the NY Hilton hotel, where I would be staying between 6th - 12th December.

When I got to the hotel, two other parcels were there (games, games) but not the one from "strategypage.com" so I immediately emailed them and they kindly agreed to send a replacement "via Priority Mail and delivery confirmation" which they said would reach me in 2 days (that's 2 days before I left the US).

The game never arrived (not surprising because there'd been a snowstorm in NY, actually another thoughthammer.com box never made it, but they refunded). When checked out I told the guy at the package room to refuse the box so it would return to the seller. I told the seller I wanted a refund for the game. I left the States on the 12th Dec.

When I have recently enquired about my refund the seller told me "as soon as we receive it we will refund your money".

Which brings me to QUESTION 1: is there any chance that the parcel will still show up? 40 days after being sent? is that normal in terms of US post? (because let me tell you, in Europe it would be considered lost by now).

The package has still not been returned and now a new kind of comments are appearing, like "Your request was unusual and we had no way of knowing if the address was correct, if the games were received and kept by an employee at the hotel or any other number of circumstances".

QUESTION 2 comes up: is asking to have stuff delivered to a well-known hotel in Central Manhattan an unusual request? (I do it all the time when I travel abroad, I've done it in Canada, US and Germany before and I received 2 other boxes while at the NY hotel, no problem)
And QUESTION 3: Is it impossible for an online seller to know if the address was correct when it is on the www.hilton.com page?
And even QUESTION 4: if the parcel was sent delivery confirmation, shouldn't the seller be able to know if an employee at the hotel kept it? or even if the parcel is lost?

Then I get other comments like: "We will be willing to refund your money when we eventually receive at least one of the games back. That still puts us at a loss for one game. If we refund your money at this time with none of the games returned, we are then at a loss for three games"
QUESTION 5 is: how can you be at a loss for THREE games when you refund the payment for ONE game if you only sent TWO games? is there some retailing calculation that I am overlooking?

Since "strategypage.com" no longer answer my emails and have never answered the above questions in their previous emails, I am turning to all you fellow geeks for some answers. Please help me understand if I am asking for such a strange thing...(Ok, it's that and also showing what kind of seller they are...)

Thanks for your feedback on this

P.S.: tried to file a Paypal complaint, but guess what, I paid for it Nov 2005, 2 weeks before I got to the US, so it's now 60 days since purchase, over the time limit. Will VISA help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Question #4: The sender should be able to tell whether the parcel was delivered or refused if it had a USPS Delivery Confirmation number. If they had one, they should be able to provide you with that number and you could use it on usps.gov inorder to see for yourself the items delivery status.

It will just indicate whether it was delivered, attempted or refused, not who received it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 5 - they WOULD be out 3 games, essentially - they have two missing that are not available, AND they're giving you back your money - which means 3...

I would definitely check with VISA tho...sounds to me like you definitely have a dispute claim.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason it takes MUCH longer when packages get returned to sender as opposed to normal mail. I shipped a book that was never recieved by the person, and was returned to me, and it took almost 2 months before I got it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Lemur wrote:
Question 5 - they WOULD be out 3 games, essentially - they have two missing that are not available, AND they're giving you back your money - which means 3...

Your accounting is wonky.

If they sent 2 games and received payment for 1, then they're out the equivalent of 1 game. If they return the payment then they are out the equivalent of 2 games total, not 3. The problem with your statement is that you have counted one of the games twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
he he he - Greg - you're 100% right!

They're out two games....my head's not working today due to cold medicine.

For some reason, I was thinking he hadn't paid for either game; but then, why would he get a refund.

Yes - Greg's right - although, in my defense, in my antihistamine-laden world, my logic sounded perfectly correct, an hour ago!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
Question #4: The sender should be able to tell whether the parcel was delivered or refused if it had a USPS Delivery Confirmation number. If they had one, they should be able to provide you with that number and you could use it on usps.gov inorder to see for yourself the items delivery status.

It will just indicate whether it was delivered, attempted or refused, not who received it.

That website should be usps.com
Even though the postal service is part of the Federal Government, they attempt to make it look like a commercial operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

Even though the postal service is part of the Federal Government, they attempt to make it look like a commercial operation.

It's actually an independent establishment of the Executive branch. It also does not receive any federal tax dollars for operating expenses; it uses money from its own revenue. It's pretty different from how most other parts of the gov't operate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[quote]QUESTION 2 comes up: is asking to have stuff delivered to a well-known hotel in Central Manhattan an unusual request? (I do it all the time when I travel abroad, I've done it in Canada, US and Germany before and I received 2 other boxes while at the NY hotel, no problem)[/q]

Gaming companies may not have a problem with it. Some hardware and software companies won't do it because it's a tactic used by folks who steal credit card information and use it to by computers. (If the companies already have a relationship with you, it will probably be much easier.)

I travel on business and frequently ship stuff to myself so I don't have to carry it. (This is especially true if you need tools which, until recently, couldn't be carried on board.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:

Both usps.com and usps.gov will get you to the United States Postal Service site.

It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arz man
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ed,

I think you're mainly right when you say:

Quote:
Assuming that they are telling the truth, then I would say that they have done a superb job of customer service! Sending your games twice in a short span, provided free shipping the second time, and promising a full refund once either game is returned is a pretty good deal.

BUT (and it's a big one) since THEY chose how to send the second game why is it my "fault" if the 2nd package never returns? Why do I have to pay for it if it got lost or even if the hotel guy kept it? (which by the way, I'm sure is completely out of the question because he would need to sign for it, and I don't think he wants to risk his job at the Hilton for a silly parcel which he knows contains a game - I told him -).

And you are 100% right when you say that:
Quote:
For me, it all hinges on this statement:
"via Priority Mail and delivery confirmation"

The seller KNOWS (or should know) if the parcel is lost, stolen by the hotel or coming back. Why don't they just say it ("hey, calm down Mr. Customer, parcel is coming back and will be here in approx XX days and then we'll refund your money")

Strategypage.com just seem to not care if it ever returns because they still have my money for 1 game...so they've paid for 2 games (cost), and 2 deliveries, and they got the money for 1 game (retail), so probably they are only about half a game out by now...

I'm out for a full game, and I didn't have anything to do with the shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have 6 months from the time of merchantise received to dispute with Visa. I used to work in the industry. Its very easy to file a dispute, I just did one for an online retailer that sent the wrong item and then stopped contacting me.
K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Eno
United States
east boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
okiedokie wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:

USPS.gov works as well it redirects to the usps.com websit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.