Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a development of Jackal's existing variant. It is as yet untested, and I suspect it will almost make it a different game.

When playing tiles in the *current* election, all tiles are placed face-up, visible to both players. Only when playing tiles against future elections are they placed hidden, as in the original rules. Hidden tiles remain hidden until the resolution of each election.

Thus the game will be a mixture of all-out open battles, and laying hidden traps for each other.

This can even be rationalised to the theme of the game - the open tiles in the current election represent the debate/voting in the forum, while the hidden tiles represent arranging bribes and corruption for future votes.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I sometimes play a useless piece on my opponents side in the current election (if I have no chance of winning) in order to try and bluff him into playing a high value piece to counteract it.

Your variant would take that aspect of the game away - so I would suggest modifying it so that pieces played in the *current* election on *your side* of the board are face-up. Tiles for future elections, and tiles on your opponents side are played face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy

andyl wrote:
I sometimes play a useless piece on my opponents side in the current election (if I have no chance of winning) in order to try and bluff him into playing a high value piece to counteract it.

Yep, me too.

[q="andyl"]Your variant would take that aspect of the game away - so I would suggest modifying it so that pieces played in the *current* election on *your side* of the board are face-up. Tiles for future elections, and tiles on your opponents side are played face down.

For this variant, I think I would stick with what I posted, although everyone is free to try what they think will work.

The reason why is this: I happen to think the game is fine as it is, without any changes. I like the blind bidding side of things, and the bluffing, as described above. However, many people have been quite vocal that they don't like this aspect - they compare it to "rock, paper, scissors", and consider it a brainless game of chance (I disagree, of course).

Anyway, it is for these folk that I thought of this variant, not for the likes of you and me who seem to enjoy blind bidding games. So I don't see the point in going half measures over it.

Maybe we could test out the various alternatives sometime - only think is, my copy of the game is currently in London, so feel free to bring yours over sometime.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.