Popular Tags: [View All]
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This passed weekend my game group and I tried out Twilight Imperium, 3rd ed. This was our first exposure to any TI game so weeks prior I vehemently encouraged everyone to read through the rules. I did so several times as well as ran a mock, two-player game just to get used to the mechanics as well as hammer out anything I was unfamiliar with.

Though both expansions were available to us we pretty much used the base game rules; though, we threw in command ships and race-specific techs just for fun. We built the balanced 6-player map from:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilight%20Imp... .

Given we wanted to keep thing simple as we learned the game we left out space stations, and wormholes.

The only home rule adopted was that “Imperial I” was only worth one victory point instead of two. This insured that this strategy and Initiative were not always picked one and two during the Strategy Phase.

We set up and drew races at random. Chris drew the Sardakk N’orr, Mike had the Barony of Letnev, Joe drew the Emirates, Paul played as the Winnu, Ted managed to be the Lizix Mindet. As for myself, I ended up with the Naalu Collective.

The early rounds were a muddle of zealous expansion amidst several forays into the rulebook. Fortunately two of us had the rules available on I-Pads in addition to the hard copies that came with the game.

It didn’t take long for fireworks to break out as the Letnev, who speedily set down on two ring-one systems were set back by the warmongering Sardakk N’orr.

On the opposite side of the galaxy, an unexpected thrust via Flank Speed allowed the Winnu to get into the rear of the overstretched Lizix and trash their capital shipyard. Though they recaptured their homeworld and rebuilt, this event permanently set them behind the rest of us..

Toward the mid game when command counters were getting really scarce, I had previously obtained the pre-requisites for the Hyper Metabolism tech. I had even boasted to the table that I was going to get it and how cool I was. To my horror, the Political Card drawn that round offered either a one-turn ban on green technologies or a permanent increase in red tech costs. I postured, threatened, pleaded, bribed, and even begged but the vote came down to a tie. The Speaker, Chris, looked at me and my outstretched hand containing five trade goods for a vote in my favor but he had too many red techs in his future to acquiesce to a permanent price increase. Thus, my aspirations for more command counters and better action card drawing would have to wait.

The game ensued with everyone on the perimeter beating up on each other while I quietly entrenched in the middle with a nice new shipyard as well as setting down on Metacol Rex.

Ultimately, the Lizix was pincered and finally removed from his capital by the Winnu and Sardakk. During the same Action Phase, I went on the offensive in effort to claim my secret objective of holding four worlds with a red technology bonus.

At that point we were 7hrs into the game and decided to call it. I was solely in the lead with a huge fleet and five victory points while my next two nearest competitors were at three each.

Everyone had a lot of fun (even Ted with his poor Lizix) and we set up our next session in a few weeks. Next time I expect we’ll have a lot less rules question down time and thus should actually be able to finish. All in all, I’m very pleased to have picked up the game and look forward to our next foray into the TI3 universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid_Dragon wrote:
This passed weekend my game group and I tried out Twilight Imperium, 3rd ed. This was our first exposure to any TI game

Though both expansions were available to us we pretty much used the base game rules; though, we threw in command ships and race-specific techs just for fun. We built the balanced 6-player map from:

The only home rule adopted was that “Imperial I” was only worth one victory point instead of two. This insured that this strategy and Initiative were not always picked one and two during the Strategy Phase.

Use the Strategy Cards from Shattered Empire. You won't have any of the problems with the Imperial/Initiative picks. Much better game is had with the those Strategy cards.

Glad you like the game. One of my favorites, but hard to get to the table due to the time constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
I wouldn't call the FFG pre-mades "balanced". They're symmetrical, which means that the varying severity of red tiles, resources and influence causes a direct bias to one side or the other. Besides, symmetry is plain and uninteresting.

However, we're all glad to see new gamers in the rich universe of ti3. Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid -

I live in the Austin area, and I used to play TI quite a lot. I'd be happy to join you if you need another player and are wanting someone experienced with the rules.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
Use the Strategy Cards from Shattered Empire. You won't have any of the problems with the Imperial/Initiative picks. Much better game is had with the those Strategy cards.

Glad you like the game. One of my favorites, but hard to get to the table due to the time constraints.

We're going to be playing our 3rd session in a couple of weeks. For session 2 we went with the base strategy cards except for Imperial II. Everyone seems to like this so we're going to stick with it for the next game.

Session IV I think we'll give the SE strat cards a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls