Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the market place but it is constantly flooded by the same few retailers trying to sell their new games. There should be a separate market place for them or they should just get a website and post a link. It makes it hard to browse for listings from other users who aren't a store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be solved by adding filters and sorting to the marketplace interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of solution would be nice because it's constantly overrun by the same games/sellers almost every couple of days. I can't be the only one bothered by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
It annoys me as well, but I am sure BGG loves it. Getting 3% on every sale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be some want to filter the listings them like Kirk said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the problem. You say it makes it harder to find good deals from "other users", but what do you care whether the seller is a store or a user? Is the issue just too many games listed as "new"? Maybe it would be nice if the game listings were user-sortable by field, and perhaps even sorted by condition by default. Sorting by price would also be nice. But I admit I haven't seen any games that have so many for sale it's hard to peruse. Any examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I don't understand the problem. You say it makes it harder to find good deals from "other users", but what do you care whether the seller is a store or a user? Is the issue just too many games listed as "new"? Maybe it would be nice if the game listings were user-sortable by field, and perhaps even sorted by condition by default. Sorting by price would also be nice. But I admit I haven't seen any games that have so many for sale it's hard to peruse. Any examples?

I wouldn't have a problem with a good deal from a retail market...What I hate are those "CLS Pre-order" posts in the marketplace.

For instance:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...

These are all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I mean it's hard to find games from users that aren't stores spamming every day, Besides going to each and every game. I guess I mean it's there needs to be a sort option but I still feel that if they are a store they should be listed separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with a good deal from a retail market...What I hate are those "CLS Pre-order" posts in the marketplace.

For instance:

I *hate* those listings. Wish he'd also stop marking stuff for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinslayer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

For instance:

Oh right, what's up with them listing items for trade now too but they won't trade anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
puffinslayer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

For instance:

Oh right, what's up with them listing items for trade now too but they won't trade anything!

I completely agree ... I tried in the past on multiple occassions to trade with CLS ... they never will ... and I've also ordered multiple games which they subsequently can't ship because they "just sold the last one".

It happened with so much regularity to not be just a coincidence,... I complained to them and was told that I was questioning their integrity.shake No, ... I was questioning their practices which includes sometimes listing games that they don't even stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

If you're searching the marketplace for a specific game, it shouldn't matter. But I think what the OP does (and I'm sure others do too) is likes to review all new Marketplace listings each day/week/whatever, to see if something interesting catches his eye. If you're trying to review all the new listings since X date, and 85% of them are brand new games from retail stores, it makes it hard to find used/OOP stuff. Stores should have their own section, or enable some sort of filtering. Of course, with every other request for enhanced marketplace functionality, it's 'coming someday'. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
If you're searching the marketplace for a specific game, it shouldn't matter. But I think what the OP does (and I'm sure others do too) is likes to review all new Marketplace listings each day/week/whatever, to see if something interesting catches his eye.

Ahhh, ok, this makes sense. Thomas, is this what you're talking about? I had no idea this feature even existed. I thought we were talking about going to a specific game page and looking through the various copies for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
cannoneer wrote:
If you're searching the marketplace for a specific game, it shouldn't matter. But I think what the OP does (and I'm sure others do too) is likes to review all new Marketplace listings each day/week/whatever, to see if something interesting catches his eye.

Ahhh, ok, this makes sense. Thomas, is this what you're talking about? I had no idea this feature even existed. I thought we were talking about going to a specific game page and looking through the various copies for sale.

Yeah I check from the home page frequently because there is not a good search filter. Now the sellers are listing the items for trade but they won't make fair trades either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
What I hate are those "CLS Pre-order" posts in the marketplace.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was, "This must be about CLS pre-order spam." They are obnoxious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drives me nuts too. I do the same scanning as the OP. I have noticed that a lot of online sellers list their games in non-even dollar amounts (17.97, 44.95, etc.). I'm not sure why they do this, but I have looked at enough of these to avoid any listings that don't end in .00 Any idea if this is an unspoken rule, something connected to pricing, or just another attempt at what stores do to get us to buy (49.95 looks like $49 to us instead of $50)? Either way, I wish all online sellers would do this so I would know which entries to avoid, or I would at least know before I click on the entry that I will be looking at an online retailer's listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm puzzled by why it matters to some people if the seller is a business or not. The game, price, and seller rating would seem to be important. The legal structure of the seller's business (or lack thereof), not so much.

Can anyone explain their reasoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
I'm puzzled by why it matters to some people if the seller is a business or not. The game, price, and seller rating would seem to be important. The legal structure of the seller's business (or lack thereof), not so much.

Can anyone explain their reasoning?

I don't want this to turn into an ethics debate. I posted because the way the market place functions now is cumbersome to browse through and sellers constantly spamming the same items over and over does not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
...and sellers constantly spamming the same items over and over does not help.

That could be because of how the Marketplace works. Any seller can only list one item under a particular game entry. So if it's a new game and it sells, the listing goes away. The replacement listing has to posted again so that the game in question is available again from that seller.

A lot of people are still waiting for the (near-mythical) Marketplace overhaul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.