Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiyas,

Among the owners and avid players of this game, I was wondering if there are any of you who know (or have a serious preference towards) the correct use of the space puck when attempting to colonize a moon.

In my recent game, we were unsure. The question arrived that player 1 wanted to colonize a moon around planet A. So, on player A's action, he plays 4 cards of the same suit, matching the planet he wishes to colonize (no wilds) and earns two chances to do it.

(.. we're correct so far, right..?)

Next, player 1 places the puck over the pieces on the planet, shuffles it around, moves the opening away from him, and begins to draw the puck towards him to reveal new squares ..

NOW! Seeing as he has two chances, does he simply go use the puck twice, and on each different occaision, consider the first cube out to be the 'deciding factor'? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd use the puck 3 times)

OR.. Does he pull the puck once, and his 'two chances' are simply the first two pieces that appear out of the puck? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd choose the first three pieces out of the puck)

Does it matter? Is there a difference? Is there a general preference?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
PsyJam wrote:
Yes.

Quote:
Next, player 1 places the puck over the pieces on the planet, shuffles it around, moves the opening away from him, and begins to draw the puck towards him to reveal new squares .. NOW! Seeing as he has two chances, does he simply go use the puck twice, and on each different occaision, consider the first cube out to be the 'deciding factor'? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd use the puck 3 times) OR.. Does he pull the puck once, and his 'two chances' are simply the first two pieces that appear out of the puck? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd choose the first three pieces out of the puck)

There is no difference between the two options. The probabilities stay the same. It's akin to rolling two dice a single time, or a single die two times; and recording the outcomes. Practically, to keep the game going (and the noise down somewhat), I shuffle just once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Trezise
United States
Nashville
TENNESSEE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always shake the Cosmic Hocky Puck each time. I suppose it don't matter, statistically, but it's SO FUN TO DO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
The puck is the gimmick that makes Andromeda fun, so I say shake it as many times as possible. Also, remember that opposing cubes drawn get sent back to Earth. So, if the green player draws (say) three cubes in one go, with the order red green red, he or she must remember to only send back one of the red cubes. Whereas with the individual shakes method slightly less brainpower is required, as you stop shaking when you get the colour you're after. The former method might confuse the sort of person who has trouble with Carcassonne, of which there are many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PsyJam wrote:
Hiyas,

NOW! Seeing as he has two chances, does he simply go use the puck twice, and on each different occaision, consider the first cube out to be the 'deciding factor'? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd use the puck 3 times)

OR.. Does he pull the puck once, and his 'two chances' are simply the first two pieces that appear out of the puck? (if he had made 3 chances, he'd choose the first three pieces out of the puck)

Man, I really like this game and the use of the Puck!

I guess there isn't a real difference in your two methods. But the gambler in us likes to 'reset' the puck after a failed effort.

Also I don't like the texture of the baord for shuffling, it's often too close to other planets to do vigorous shuffling and I don't want to scuff my board. So I usually take all the cubes on a planet off the board to a clear space on the table and use the puck there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The method you use doesn't matter as long as you specify which method before using it. Otherwise you might get some players who will turn a two-cube draw into a three-cube draw (two chances, two come out, but neither is the one I want, so I guess I was using the one-per-shuffle method, and get another draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
PsyJam wrote:
Hiyas,

Among the owners and avid players of this game, I was wondering if there are any of you who know (or have a serious preference towards) the correct use of the space puck when attempting to colonize a moon.

In my recent game, we were unsure. The question arrived that player 1 wanted to colonize a moon around planet A. So, on player A's action, he plays 4 cards of the same suit, matching the planet he wishes to colonize (no wilds) and earns two chances to do it.

Next, player 1 places the puck over the pieces on the planet, shuffles it around, moves the opening away from him, and begins to draw the puck towards him to reveal new squares ..

Cheers!

It's not a puck - it's the Galactic Ash Tray!

We reshake between each draw, but it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
The method you use doesn't matter as long as you specify which method before using it. Otherwise you might get some players who will turn a two-cube draw into a three-cube draw (two chances, two come out, but neither is the one I want, so I guess I was using the one-per-shuffle method, and get another draw).

Geez, I wouldn't want to be playin with your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the rules say to only allow one cube to escape the puck. So that would suggest you should give er two shakes/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
shawn_low wrote:
Geez, I wouldn't want to be playin with your friends.

My friends are great to play with, and one of the reasons they are so good to play with is because they also prefer to avoid that sort of ambiguity. Much better to recognise and deal with the problem than to wait until we one day find ourselves playing with someone new who takes advantage of us, or even find ourselves saying, "Wait, don't we normally shake twice? You should put that back a shake again." - "No, I always do it this way."

(But most of us prefer to avoid playing Andromeda. Yuck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The best use is an actual ashtray.

This game makes baby jesus cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, new life in this old thread!

First off, I don't quite understand the post that's immediately above me..

Second, I have to agree with an earlier post - seeing as there is statistically no difference in either method, and seeing as the cosmic puck is the gimmick in this game, you might as well shake it around a pile of times. It works for me..

..now if only I could get this game to the table again.. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The second method is not correct, because if the first cube to come out is yours you don't have a second go. You have two chances to get a single cube. If you get it out first time then that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.