Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking suggestions for a good card game that can be played with 2 players. I currently have Balloon Cup (my wife likes this) and am hoping to get something light for the wife and kids.

Thanks,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities and Schotten Totten (which is about the same as Battle Line) are both good 2 player Knizia card games. They have a similar feel to them - in both you want to delay your decisions as long as possible, but you are forced to play cards and commit early - and some people prefer one, some the other. I play Lost Cities mostly but like them both.

I've also heard good things about Odin's Ravens and Hera and Zeus, but I haven't played them so I can't say for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon are really, really good - i don't know if it will suit your taste though.

San Juan are great too.

If it doesn't *have* to be a card game Kahuna and LOTR: The Confrontation get a thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens, Kupferkessel, Fairy Tale, and Crazy Chicken (aka Drive) would be my suggestions. We find Lost Cities boring. Kupferkessel has the advantage of also being playable with 3; Fairy Tale plays up to 4 or 5, I think. My 8 y.o. likes the first three -- she hasn't played Crazy Chicken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Schotten Totten is the best 2 player card game out there. IF you don't have a problem with sub-standard card stock, Battle line gives you almost the same game, but you'll probably have to put sleeves to the cards if you plan to play it heavily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right, I forgot to mention San Juan in my original answer! Glad somebody else brought it up. It's my wife's favorite 2-player game, plus it has the advantage that you can play with more than 2 if you want to. It is pretty different from other card games though, really it's more of a simplified Puerto Rico than a card game, but it's very fun no matter how you think of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Definitely need sleeves. My copy was wearing out badly because the cards
are so thin and weakly laminated.

Battle Line and Up Front are my most played two player card games. But I'm more of a wargamer and Up Front takes a bit more space. But it plays fast once you know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I recommend Battle Line and St. Petersburg (which is essentially a card game). meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if you can get Schotten Totten in the UK?
I can find Battle Line, but I think I prefer the look of S-T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. I don't think I'd include San Juan and St. Petersburg as "light" games though.

I got the wife to play Lost Cities, and she actually asked to play it again.

Off topic a bit, but the other game I can get her to play is Can't Stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Give 'Light Speed' a try. I play it with my wife and 6-year-old son. It's fun, fast, and furious. My son loves the opening phase of the game where all the players (2-4) slap their ships down on the table (dropping out of light speed), often giving up strategic placement for speed. The first person to get all their ships on the table shouts "stop!"and if you still have ships in hand, they are out of play. Next comes the battle/resource mining phase where laser shots and line of sight are determined using halved rubber bands.

You may also like 'Wings of War: Famous Aces'. It's a very user-friendly card game. Again, I play it with my 6-year-old. You don't have to like war games to enjoy this one; I even got non-gamers in my office hooked on it.

regards
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities : nice, but not too deep - feels a bit simple to me, but is good
Schotten Totten : much like LC, but with interesting decisions thanks to the action cards
San Juan : nice, non-confrontational and plays up to four players.
Jambo : quite good too, more interactions than in the above games

Currently I like ST a bit more, but also like SJ a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kung Fu Fighting with 2 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something light sounds like Kahuna from Kosmos-series. It has a board and some wooden pieces, but I still see it as a card game. When going for something a little heavier, I'd suggest Settlers of Catan Card Game for 2 players, preferably with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing it but I'm hooked on Jambo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out the entire Kosmos line of two-player card games, like Lost Cities, Jambo, Odin's Ravens, Hera & Zeus, Blue Moon, etc.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Heraldic.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95344

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juuzzom wrote:
Something light sounds like Kahuna from Kosmos-series.

Hmmm.... I think Kahuna are pretty heavy, game play wise. The rules are easy though. I know i mentioned it, but i didn't see that it should be light blush

My wife lifes it, and she is *not* a heavy gamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your input. So many choices that I will have to consider.

Thanks,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great 2 player card games playable with a standard deck of cards, or a subset thereof.

Cribbage is an old English game, helps if you have a special score recorder called a Cribbage board, but pencil and paper alsow works.

Casssino is a nice simple Italian game.

Le Truc is a bluffing game, depends whether you like that.
Gin Rummy is also good, and there are many games in the Rummy family, all the way up to Canasta, which is a great 2 player game but takes quite a while to play (it also plays great for 4 people, 2 on each team, but that is a different story).

And many more.

This is why I resist playing wierd cardgames with pretty pictures....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.