Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've cracked the box and looked things over. Seperated and bagged the chits. Came to BGG and downloaded enough player aids to kill a tree. 400+ General Articles here on BGG?

TMI!!!

Two of us are going to try to read the rules together and have a first run-through game tonight, and probably a more extended game this weekend.

Where do I start? What player aids will help with this first effort? I assume the Example of Play would be helpful. Any other suggestions? (BTW, if you're in the Salt Lake City area and free tonight, drop me a line.)

When the weekend's over, I'll post a player aid called, "So I've Opened the Box, Now What?", specifically to answer this question. Any input for that post would really be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
-JL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best advice that I can give is to approach the whole affair with the understanding that you will not get everything right. Perhaps you should just play an age or two to get a feel, then go back and re-read the rules to see what bits you might have missed.

As far as the player aids, yes there are a few, and many articles. Just make sure that you are using the latest rules, and read the FAQ. Add whichever aids you feel work the best. The aid I fould most helpful was the one that details what each artifact does.

The thing I remember being most confused about was when wheat actually appeared in certain areas, but it has been so long ago, I can't remember what the confusion was about. You might also want to keep score and money values written down in addition to using the markers on the board, in case they get bumped. Also, a large sheet of plexiglass/poster frame is also very helpful.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The most useful aid I found was the one that let you spread out the named leaders to make the proper leader available at a glance.

I don't know if plexiglas is needed, but surely you need something like post-it notes to make the two pieces of the map stay together.

The combat rules are funky. Make sure you go through them step by step the first couple of times there are battles.

And don't sweat oil or deforestation or whatever rules too much --- you are not going to get that far in the game. A couple of ages is an all day affair.

You are best off with exactly 5 players. 6 gives the unfortunate mechanic of an unequal number of civilizations per player and no real way to balance that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Easy.

1) Read the rules 2-3 times.

2) Read the FAQ/errata "7 Ages errata_21Jan05.doc"

3) Print out and make a copies to all players of "7 Ages VPO Rules Summary r0.doc" from 2005-01-18.

And then ask questions on this forum. The service is great!!

//Håkan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
Play with less empires per side in a 2 player to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
dkeisen wrote:
I don't know if plexiglas is needed, but surely you need something like post-it notes to make the two pieces of the map stay together.

I don’t know what you call it in English, but you may laminate the map. (You go to a well sorted map shop and by a thin plastic layer which you put (or rather stick) on the map. I laminated the map my self - it's quite easy). Then you simply store the map rolled up in a tube (which you also find in a well sorted map store).

Another tip: You may cut off the corners of the counters (just some mm). It prevents the stacks from hook up on each outer.

//Håkan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.