Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Osterhoudt
United States
Bow
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone remember Rackham and their game Hybrid (a dungeon crawl with Confrontation pieces)? Sedition seems very similar to that game. Has anyone played both and if so could they tell me if Sedition is worth getting if you still have a copy of Hybrid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hydbrid was a game with amazing models and boards - but with some problems in the game (I always thought the placement of markers on the boards made things awkward).

It was also hampered by over-written rules that buried play aspects in the fictional mythos - and was a translation. Could have been great - but notice it did not become a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n Mzi
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, both games deserve to be played. If you have a chance to get a copy of Hybrid, do get it. The gameplay is completely different and the setting is at least as grim as the one of SW.

Do get the rules here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64228/hybrid-rule-comp...

BTW: http://bgmapeditor.eu/ has special packs for Hybrid (although a bit old).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Osterhoudt
United States
Bow
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have Hybrid...but it sounds like you would recommend Sed. wars as well, even with Hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts on comparing the 2... besides the obvious like having much more plastic figures...

Mechanics: sedwar feels more like a modern skirmish game such as infinity (reflex/reactive actions which are necessary for gun combat, and activations based on force composition) or even CMGs like star wars minis/heroclix.

Hybrid to me is still in a class of its own with requiring preplanned activations, the extreme skill levels, cardplay etc. If you're looking for a tactical complexity/challenge in hybrid this is not it... Sedwar is more like space hulk about the asymmetric warfare and tension.

Theme: Sedwar is definitely as much zombie as scifi. Hybrid, while it seems to be very gritty and brooding in that vein, really has very little of that in execution and is just different forces pitted against each other.

Also my personal opinion is that sedwar's fluff is a bit generic, and the artistic design/artwork is nothing special like rackham's (which was a huge draw for most fans of conf/hybrid).

Replayability: Hybrid seems to be a much more open system. For one, the issue with sedwar are the huge tiles which mean less configuration options.

That said, I still think it's a good scifi skirmish game, but if you're looking for something like Hybrid in the areas I mentioned above, this is not it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.