Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first learning game yesterday and what a strange game it is.

Part of me recognises it as a Feld game (I'm a big fan) with the buildings and special abilities. But then part of me doesn't get it. Not the rules or the game, just it's not very Feld at all

It's... Odd. Not what I expected at all. I bought it on the Feld name alone which is normally a safe bet. But I'm not convinced here unfortunately.

I have been thinking about it since we played which might be a good sign - usually is - so perhaps after more plays it will start to shine.

It's just lacking the usual Feld je-ne-sais-quois. No multiple paths. No real tough decisions to make. It's a bit "meh" really. If it had a different designer's name perhaps is be thinking different?

Its still not a bad game though. Just very... Unexpected I suppose.

We will be playing it more, so it's not a complete duffer.

EDIT - I hope this isn't the start of a Knizia-style churn of mediocre games from Feld.

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Feld is publishing 4 games this year, you cannot expect them all to rise at Bora Bora's level.
I'll play it in a week or so and come back with opinions.

But it has been like this in 2011 as well with Strasbourg (alongside COB and Trajan) and in 2010 with Speicherstadt (alongside Luna) and in 2009 with Roma II and Builder's Duell (alongside Macao).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the blender of mechanisms churned out a lesser than excellent game? I've thought there would be a few than wouldn't turned the heads of everyone. I've enjoyed some of his, but the blendered ones seem to not hit with my group. I like parts of each, but as a whole, they have too much that shreds any theme whatsoever; this one sounds opposite, so maybe it would be one I could get into. I liked Trajan for the mancala; I liked Notre Dame for the board one-up-ness, Macao for the cube-look ahead, Roma for the dice allocation, Amerigo for the dice tower usage...hold on here ninja

What is unique about Rialto? besides the build stuff for making stuff to get stuff bits, what shines as its core mechanism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
in 2010 with Speicherstadt (alongside Luna)

I prefer The Speicherstadt to Luna. The former is a very good auction game with plenty of screwage whereas the latter is just a little too busy for my liking. Each to their own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James, how many players did you try it with. With three I thought it was poor, with 4 a lot better as the extra player added another level of interest to the game play (drafting choices more interesting, card play much more interesting, the Doge track tussle seemed more important). Having said it was not special enough with 4 for me to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

What is unique about Rialto? besides the build stuff for making stuff to get stuff bits, what shines as its core mechanism?

Maybe the card-selection-bidding- mechanism at the beginning of each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Schnepf
Germany
Dackenheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

where is the bidding?

At the moment I have the same problems with Rialto. I hope they´re gone with more games played.

Brügge had me from the beginning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argo0373 wrote:
Pasvik wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

where is the bidding?

At the moment I have the same problems with Rialto. I hope they´re gone with more games played.

I think I would also enjoy Brugge. Unfortunately there is no news for a U.S. release at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Argo0373 wrote:

where is the bidding?

I think I would also enjoy Brugge. Unfortunately there is no news for a U.S. release at all.

Yeah, Rialto never really appealed to me, but after watching MiWi's video on Brugge, I'm sold!...

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see it by Essen...even if I have to import it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Unfortunately there is no news for a U.S. release at all.

And that is why God created Thor and GamesSurplus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I fear that unless you and your gaming buddies are fluent in German (or have the patience to refer to 165 pieces of crib-sheet info), Thor will be of no value for Brugge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I fear that unless you and your gaming buddies are fluent in German (or have the patience to refer to 165 pieces of crib-sheet info), Thor will be of no value for Brugge.

Wasn´t this initially a thread about Rialto??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Wasn´t this initially a thread about Rialto??

True true... I guess you can chalk it up to the magic of Feld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Well, at least I am pretty confident Amerigo will be sold in the U.S. I haven't heard anything bad about that one either. And maybe by summer my misgivings about trying Bora Bora will all prove false and I will be playing that one regularly. (My misgivings are that it's overly complicated for what it is....I hope I am wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Argo0373 wrote:
Pasvik wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

where is the bidding?

According to its BGG page, Z-Man is releasing it. Unless you meant there is no more information than THAT, in which case, that's Z-Man for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
But it has been like this in 2011 as well with Strasbourg (alongside COB and Trajan) and in 2010 with Speicherstadt (alongside Luna) and in 2009 with Roma II and Builder's Duell (alongside Macao).

I like The Speicherstadt very much, actually I think its a very simple and clever take on an auction game. Underated for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldaponte wrote:
I like The Speicherstadt very much, actually I think its a very simple and clever take on an auction game. Underated for sure.

Definitely agree, I prefer it to Strasbourg for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us played Rialto last night & I wondered how it would turn out given some of the initial lukewarm feedback on it. We all enjoyed the game; sure, it's not Feld's best game by a long shot but we recognised that it was lighter & shorter than his usual fare but it was decent for what it is. Quite happy with it for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking last night why I preferred it with 4 to 3 and its because the game feels tighter and a little tougher with 4 - there are less bonuses to go round so you are likely to have a little less cash, are going to find it a little more difficult to get higher level buildings (and with less cash possibly going to have to choose which which building to activate) and that presence is an area is not always going to score points. The tussle for position on the Doge track becomes more important and I felt that for some turns it was was worth while saving a card to create a big next turn. However, the core of the game which is the card choice and then play is just not as exciting as i'd thought it would be from the rules. Solid , decent, no X Factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Norbert666 wrote:
We played our first learning game yesterday and what a strange game it is.

Whilst I admit I haven't yet tried Rialto, strange is a word normally associated with games like:

Surely Rialto isn't therefore, Big John strange?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rialto isn't strange. It is fairly conventional. Having said that, it is extrordinarily good. Clean, neat, elegant, simple, and sheer class.

In fact a game of Bora Bora followed by Rialto would approach a perfect evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.