Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own Through the Ages and now thinking of adding another Civilization game to my collection. Either Sid Meier's or Advanced Civilization.

Of the two games, which would provide a more satisfying gaming/theme/learning experience?

The length or complexity of these games doesn't put me off. It's just hard for me to justify adding both games to my collection, since I'll be lucky to play any of these more than 3 times in the next two years. Life is just too short!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my opinion that Advanced Civilization is a much better game. But, it is also about 3 times longer.

Sid's has 4 paths to victory.

Adv Civ is won by points, and there are several ways to gain points.

The "tech" stuff is similar in that each tech gives your civ more abilities making it easier to grow, defend etc.

The tech in Sid's is a tree. You must have two lev 1 techs to get a lev 2 tech, etc. In Adv Civ you can buy any tech in any order... however, there is a discount program so you probably want to buy them in a certain order to maximize your discounts. Also, the different countries have different map conditions which work better with certain techs being purchased first. Also, you need a certain mix of techs to advance on the AST (scoring/age track) so you still have to diversify.

The battle system in Sid is more involved, with the unit cards, rock paper scissors, and bonuses from certain techs or great people. However, since a military victory is possible this makes sense.

The "battle" system in Adv Civ is a simple unit for unit reduction (with some modifications based on a few techs. Since there is no military victory here this makes sense. A "battle" may even end with units of both civs still in the space.

Adv Civ has one thing that Sid's doesn't have which is the trading aspect. Sure you "can" trade some stuff in Sid's, but you don't really need to. In Adv Civ, you have to trade to maximize the value of your goods which is the currency for buying tech cards. The trading is interesting since you must trade at least 3 cards, you must state truly what 2 of them are. In addition to "goods" cards you may have drawn a calamity card. So, when you trade you may get a calamity card.

My advice, try to play each one at least once and make your choice. Although, there is room in a collection for both games, since Adv Civ is probably going to be a 2 to 3 times a year game since it is best with 6-8 people. It is hard to get that many people together on the same day for 10 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and like both a lot. There really is little comparison between the two. ACiv is about 3x as long and needs about 2x more people to be worth it.

SMCiv has some fiddly rules and is not as nuanced as ACiv but there is a fun factor with exploration, more interesting battle system and city add ons which justifies that.

ACiv is at it's heart a social trading game. SMCiv is an AT/Euro mashup with lots of fun stuff going on.

For me ACiv is a better game by far but SMCiv is something I would be happy to play just about any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you are familiar with the various iterations of the Civ video games, Advanced Civ is basically Civ 5 - there's LOTS to do, lots of micromanagement, and deep and satifying experience. That said, getting it to the table will be tough unless you already have a playgroup willing to spend 10+ hours on a single game.

The FFG Sid Meier's Civ reminded me of the Xbox/Ps3 port of Civ Revolutions. It is definitely still civ, but macro-management instead of micromanagement. It plays smoothly and manages to capture the feeling of a Civ game better than almost any other game besides the original Advanced Civ you are asking about. In fact, I prefer it - it's over in three hours, it allows me a number of interesting options and victory paths, and it isn't about the tedious spreadsheet minutiae of Through the Ages (a game I despise - it is NOT a civ game, I'd argue, it is a resource management game with a civ theme. YMMV)

Clash of Cultures is getting good reviews. I haven't played it yet, but you might research it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your leaning towards SMciv, then you should check out clash of cultures. I own SMciv and CoC, and much prefer CoC because it is less fiddly, development of multiple cities, the tech development is more diverse, and seems more like developing a civ and less like less of a "race" to win. I choose CoC over SMciv every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

That's pretty good insight you are sharing. You may be right about Clash of Culture up-seating Sid Meier's game. Acquiring Clash of Culture seems like the direction I'll be going.

As for Advanced Civilization, I now understand why this game frequently crops up at gaming convention. Playing someone else's copy and not having to worry about getting a gaming group together makes it convenient to play this at the appropriate times. It will at least free up my shelf space for a shorter Civ game which I can play more often with my smaller gaming group at home.

I do own the latest Mac edition of Sid Meier's game so all is not lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed the SMciv computer games as well. Can only hope to play advanced civ sometime. CoC is a real good civ game, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
Jeff,

That's pretty good insight you are sharing. You may be right about Clash of Culture up-seating Sid Meier's game. Acquiring Clash of Culture seems like the direction I'll be going.

There is an excellent comparative review of the two games here. For myself, I am a fan of both games. While I currently think that SMC offers an over-all better and more strategic civilization-building game, I have more "fun" playing Clash of Cultures (granted that it is also newer to me and I have not played it very much yet). I own SMC and the expansion, and the only reason that I have not also bought CoC is that I know enough others who already have it that I don't really feel the need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Clash of Culture to be far more accessible than Sid Meir's Civ. That game felt totally over-produced, while Clash of Cultures feels like the Civ lite game it is.

There really isn't a comparison between Sid Meier's Civ and Advanced Civ, although I would assert that Advanced Civ is just as accessible (although a lot longer) as Clash of Cultures is. The rules to Advanced Civ are unfortunately written in AvalonHillese, but once you understand them, they are generally intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.