Subject: 9-10 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Any reason why we couldn't proxy some ships and planets and make CE a 9 or 10 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you will also need to make some cards for the extra player for the destiny deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
Any reason why we couldn't proxy some ships and planets and make CE a 9 or 10 player game?

None at all. I've done that myself, and I know at least one other player (hi Jack!) who has as well. Destiny cards are the hardest part, but even then, not that tough if you have an extra copy of an expansion or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
djhopscotch wrote:
Nope, you will also need to make some cards for the extra player for the destiny deck.

Oh rats, you're right. I didn't think about that. Hmmm... maybe I'll see about making destiny dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
djhopscotch wrote:

Oh rats, you're right. I didn't think about that. Hmmm... maybe I'll see about making destiny dice.

Just sleeve your destiny deck, and you'll be fine. You can even add an extra wild and a few more specials to help the deck consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I don't have spare cards, and I"m not capable of making viable proxies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a regular deck of cards maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Axxle wrote:
Use a regular deck of cards maybe?

This. Use jokers as wild destiny and face cards as special destinies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all... now, I don't own CE myself, my buddy is bringing it, so I cannot count the deck. what are the various special encounter cards? And what % of the deck should be wild/special?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is 3x each color, 2x wild, 1x each of "Most foreign colonies," "Most cards in hand", and "Fewest ships in warp".

Personally, if you're going to be playing with that many, I'd probably double the number of special destinies and add one more wild destiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
You really don't need regular playing cards, or even card sleeves for that matter. Assuming you are at 8 players now, then you would already have Cosmic Conflict (which contains Invader). So just say that the three Invasion! destinies are now player 9's color, and the three Special destiny cards are now player 10's color. Voila. (Just take the Invader flare out of the flare deck so nobody gets that alien.)

Special destiny certainly is not necessary, and didn't even exist until Mayfair's edition of the game, so I don't think you'll be missing much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Moving to that size is going to add some weirdness.

Once you have 9 or 10 players, the amount of time you spend as a main player shrinks drastically, and the amount of time you spend as a non-main player is more than doubled compared to a regular five-player game. This makes Main Player Only powers, especially Offense Only or Defense Only powers, far weaker than normal, and As Any Player powers far stronger than normal.

In a 10-player game, you've got a 116-card deck (72 base, 24 large group, 20 flares), of which 80 begin in players' hands. Better hope nobody has any strong draw powers that can be used when not a main player, like Healer, or Cosmic Quakes are going to be easy.

Personally, at that size I'd switch to something other than Cosmic Encounter, like The Resistance, or split into two tables and play two separate games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Your concerns don't hold much water. The game already sports 8 players. Adding a 9th won't change that much.

I don't like splitting tables.

In any event, we didn't play this one. I appreciate the advice though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting into two tables of CE can be an interesting idea. There are variants you can use that cause the two tables to interact with each other.

However, there's still the problem of a shortage of cards. With Miser, Glutton, Cyborg, and The Claw in the game, that leaves 22 cards in the deck to start with. With Kamikaze, Remora, Cryo, Industrialist, Citadel, Chosen, Fido, Mutant, Genius, Merchant, Cavalry, Invader, Mimic, Animal, Bandit, General, and Reborn, the deck is going to be extra-strained. At the very least, you might want to sleeve all the cards and mix the Reward Deck (without the rifts) into the regular deck. That adds another 28 cards to the deck, which might just be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
you might want to sleeve all the cards and mix the Reward Deck (without the rifts) into the regular deck.

Or just use a rule that says if the deck/discard pile truly runs out, then draw any remaining cards from the reward deck instead. Might even add some fun tension and jockeying for position as the deck starts to run dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.