Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a math idiot, and I'm currently tinkering with a game idea that revolves around rolling five dice and trying to build a better "poker hand" (pairs, three of a kind, straight, full house, etc.).

Would it be more advantageous to a player to have a sixth die, or to be able to re-roll one of their dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Assuming they are picking five of the six, and without doing any numbercrunching to back it up, I think the extra die would be more beneficial because it is functionally equivalent to a reroll except that if you liked the first roll better you can keep it instead (since it is on the fifth die that you would trade out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better, you don't have to decide which die is the "extra" until you see the result of all 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, reroll just one of their dice? Extra die for sure. The question is how many dice would you have to reroll to make it as good as an extra die...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azzari the Blue
Canada
Gatineau
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your idea reminds me a bit of Dice Town! Very fun game; the way they do it in that one is that everyone rolls their five dice, picks one to keep, rerolls, picks another, etc... or they can pay money to reroll all their dice instead of keeping one, or can pay money to keep more than one die.

Having six dice is my favorite of your choices above.

(Poker dice? I don't even know 'er!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno monteiro
Portugal
lisboa
lisboa - portugal
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are trying to make poker hands a 6th die will increase the odds of getting a good hand by a lot.

just take a pair: the more dice you roll the easy it is to get at least one pair, hard with two dice, 100% chance with 7.

So given the choice of re-rolling or add a die...i will always add a die

BM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention, the ranking for the hands needs to change. There is a Yahtzee game that you should probably reference for doing anything along these lines. Hopefully you have more going on than just this, but the work on rankings is already done for you at least.

Yahtzee: Texas Hold'em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like others said, extra die is better.

naturally you can consider designing it so that you get re-roll on certain situations, and extra roll on certain other situations.

(For example, normally you have 5 dice and get 2 re-rolls, but if you got a set (3 same), you gain extra die to use)

Or, make it a balancing thing: the person who has lowest score in the game gets to use extra die.

Or... alternatively let each player have 3 tokens. Each time they use extra die, they must discard a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.