Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I should come clean, this is mostly my fault, I overestimated my recovery, Pierre tried to talk me out of this but I insisted. I have been ill starting from last December with the apex happening January & February. I'm finally almost to myself & my brother was staying with us for a few weeks, it was gorgeously sunny so an outdoor adventure was what was needed.

Last weekend we decided to go on a hike to a mostly empty old ghost village. Most sane people go there by boat but we, my husband, brother & I in a rather surreal moment decided to it by land. We had found a person who'd marked out a trail so we thought what the hey. First we drove out to Egmont & turned off at the North Lake forest service road & drove until we couldn't anymore, then hiked. The picture shows a nice road that we could of actually drove if it weren't for the creek washing out the road & making a gully. Not bad it was nice.

We walked about 2 kms but didn't find any path off but we did find this lovely branchy Alder. When we came to the end of the logging road we decided to carefully check the side for a path. This should of triggered my spidy senses but what can I say I'm afraid of spiders.

So here's an image of the marked trail, wait...what? Do you see a path. This wasn't even an elk path, this was a bear path, there was windfalls dips you name it. See my husbands frowny face He'd just been out voted by my brother & me, we were going on.

At some points the trail was almost impossible to see. About 3 or 4 kms in it wound around a bluff that bordered a swamp. You had to walk by putting one foot in front of the other in places & lean toward the bluff as it was only about a foot wide. At the same time we had climb over or under windfalls & avoid crumbly path. The horror of this trail went on for about 1/2 a km before turning back into the lesser evil. Altogether the path from the turn off to the sea was about 10 km. This wasn't even remotely level either as we went up almost 300 meters before going back down to sea level. The last 2 km was a nicish very old logging road.

So here we are on the shore looking at one of the dilapidated shacks. This was on the very edge, the rest of the houses were about a 1 km further. This is a view from the beach. surprise

The forest is trying to reclaim this abode. zombie

At the shore looking across to the main land (we're on a peninsula). Lovely view but notice the dark shadows. We don't have time to check out the rest of the village, it took us hours to get here. The trail was much rougher than we thought. So back we went much slower this time as I'm exhausted. We're not resting at all as we're worried we'll be caught in the woods after dark. Luckily we got around the swamp before it was really dark. By that that time I couldn't see the flashes of pink or orange of the trail markings but Tristan being 17 years younger than me could. I have horrible night vision. By the last km in the woods even Tristan couldn't see the markings, Pierre & me we're feeling the trail with our walking sticks like blind people. We could see in the distance the clearing that denoted the logging road as there was an almost full moon out but the light wasn't getting under the thick canopy. We made it to the road without breaking our legs yay. We then wobbled our way downhill to the car which was a little over 1 km away with the moon lighting up the road. shake

I've been broken all week, even Pierre & Tristan were dead for a day or 2. They went for another small hike 2 days ago but this time took a couple of flashlights. I was so not going even though it was just up behind our place & I've done it many times before. I chose to live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, sounds like you went out a bit too far...

Beautiful hike, though.

Happy to hear everyone survived and is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just listening to this on the news this AM. Glad to see you avoided that fate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half way through reading and looking at the photos I was thinking this is going to turn out like the Blair Witch Project.
Looks spooky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
When it got dark & we still weren't out of the wood then we got kinda worried, I mean we were feeling the path with our sticks, yeesh. It really could have had a bad ending instead of just stupid. Pierre & I are very woods savvy so the only way we could get lost would be the dark, totally ridiculous. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
pdahl wrote:
Yup, sounds like you went out a bit too far...

Beautiful hike, though.

Happy to hear everyone survived and is ok.
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.