Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Should I contact Rio Grand / Ystari or do the starting resources not matter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I finally decided to sit down and try to figure out how to play Caylus. It has been sitting on my shelves for...too long. However I didn't do what I should have done on day one. I didn't check the starting resource cubes and when I finally DID sit down I noticed that I had 28 Yellow Food cubes and various other cubes missing from each other color (all for a total of 8)

So for the Caylus Experts out there - do the starting resource cubes (30 each, except food which should be 20 instead of 28) matter or should I go ahead and look up Rio Grande and/or Ystari's email address and contact them for replacements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Caylus about 10 times. I don't ever remember needing all the cubes as they are placed back in the supply upon use. But it probably wouldn't hurt to let the publisher know that pieces are missing.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
So, I finally decided to sit down and try to figure out how to play Caylus. It has been sitting on my shelves for...too long. However I didn't do what I should have done on day one. I didn't check the starting resource cubes and when I finally DID sit down I noticed that I had 28 Yellow Food cubes and various other cubes missing from each other color (all for a total of 8)

So for the Caylus Experts out there - do the starting resource cubes (30 each, except food which should be 20 instead of 28) matter or should I go ahead and look up Rio Grande and/or Ystari's email address and contact them for replacements?

What do you mean with starting resources? Each player start the game with a cube of wood, food and stone each. So, I guess it's not a problem for you. That would be a problem if one player start to hoard the resource for himself and does not spend it to the end of the game, except this weird and rare case, I don't think you will lack the resource cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I expect my games to come with the components listed(misprints excepted), whether they are needed or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the mixup with Food and (pink) and Gold (yellow)
as I said I was trying to learn the game. This was the complete breakdown of what I have.

28 Royal Blue (Cloth)
29 Pink (Food)
27 Gray (Stone)
28 Brown (Wood)
28 Yellow (Gold)

if Yellow is supposed to only have 20 cubes than the 8 extra that I have should be in the other colors (2 Blue + 1 Pink + 3 Gray + 2 Brown = 8 missing cubes)

I just want to know if missing any of these will effect gameplay (some games you're limited by the resources in the box - others you can proxy out a substitute or come up with a way to represent what goes beyond what everyone has) I just want to know if I can still play the game as is, or if its worth the time to go ahead and contact RGG/Ystari.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
I just want to know if missing any of these will effect gameplay (some games you're limited by the resources in the box - others you can proxy out a substitute or come up with a way to represent what goes beyond what everyone has) I just want to know if I can still play the game as is, or if its worth the time to go ahead and contact RGG/Ystari.

You can play as is. In Caylus you're not restricted to the resources available and can use proxy if need be, although, as others have said, the need for proxies is unlikely.

It's a truly great game - enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Sorry for the mixup with Food and (pink) and Gold (yellow)
as I said I was trying to learn the game. This was the complete breakdown of what I have.

28 Royal Blue (Cloth)
29 Pink (Food)
27 Gray (Stone)
28 Brown (Wood)
28 Yellow (Gold)

if Yellow is supposed to only have 20 cubes than the 8 extra that I have should be in the other colors (2 Blue + 1 Pink + 3 Gray + 2 Brown = 8 missing cubes)

You can go ahead and play while waiting them to send your missing cubes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
28 Royal Blue (Cloth)
29 Pink (Food)
27 Gray (Stone)
28 Brown (Wood)
28 Yellow (Gold)

I've never come close to running out of cubes in this game. I doubt I've seen 15 of one color in use, much less 25+.

If you hadn't counted, you'd never notice you have funky quantities. It won't affect gameplay. I wouldn't even bother asking for replacements. You'll be able to play just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Tegre wrote:

What do you mean with starting resources? Each player start the game with a cube of wood, food and stone each. So, I guess it's not a problem for you. That would be a problem if one player start to hoard the resource for himself and does not spend it to the end of the game, except this weird and rare case, I don't think you will lack the resource cubes.

Erm, you start with 2 food and 1 wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I can almost guarantee you'll never run out of cubes with what you have. That's plenty of cubes to play the game. Arguably too many.

Whether or not you ask for replacements is your call. Personally, I probably wouldn't. I don't think I ever counted my cubes, but there are definitely way too many gold and more than enough of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to go full speed ahead and see if I can break this out at my next gaming session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere in my rules does it say resources are limited, so you can use some other method if necessary. The rules say you should have 30 of basic resources and 20 of gold. I would probably go ahead and contact the distributor if you didn't get what you should have gotten. edit - in retrospect, the rules actually say "around 30" and "around 20", so what you got is probably correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
vardamir wrote:
Tegre wrote:

Erm, you start with 2 food and 1 wood.

Yeah...that's an interesting rule to get wrong. With one food one wood one stone....every player can already build in the castle before the game even starts. Wouldnt that be interesting?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.